cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Full Fibre 100 Inconsistency/Ping Spikes

Hello,

I've tried to familiarise myself with some of the standard practices that help everyone identify the issues (ie. ping tests, checking router stats etc..), if I've missed anything else that I can post that will help please do let me know.

We recently had our internet 'upgraded' from a BT Infinity package to a Full Fibre 100 package with Halo 1.

Before the upgrade, internet speeds recorded on this PC were averaging about 40Mbps.

The upgrade was performed on the 3rd August (9 days now). I'm aware that there is a 'settle in' time for the internet connection to stabilise - but even the technician said this often only takes a couple of days and the reliability has shown no signs of improvement - hence this post.

The issue is that often (maybe every 5 minutes or so?), ping will spike very high (to about 200ms, or even much higher in a lot of cases) - take a look at the images below.

Another issue is that the download speed fluctuates wildly. When the upgrade was very first installed, I did a download speed test using fast.com and speedtest.net, and it showed speeds of 90Mbps. The technician said that he wasn't fully happy with the results (he said we could get higher) but that it would be a substantial improvement over the original package we had. This speed later would fall a lot - I've had cases of 420Kbps, 5Mbps etc. often.

My brother, who is slightly further away from the router than I am almost always gets speeds less than 10Mbps, whereas I often average about 20Mbps (I just ran another test just now - 37Mbps). Earlier today I reached 150Mbps for about 8 minutes before it dropped back down to 10Mbps.

As you can see this download speed is very very inconsistent (the upload speed seems to remain the same all the time I believe, at around 20Mbps).

I would appreciate any help that could assist in resolving this issue - it's very annoying when gaming to receive these ping spikes.

See below for images (the reason for the short uptime on the router is because I just did a hard factory reset - the router has not been reset before this).

cabinetinfo.PNGstats2.PNGwholesale.PNGpingplotter.PNG

pingplotter2.PNG

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Full Fibre 100 Inconsistency/Ping Spikes

Is this wireless or wired?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

I'm using a wireless connection (BT's dual band dongle) to my desktop.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Can you do a wired test as that's the only one accepted due to the many things that can interfere with wireless.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

I'm afraid I don't have any devices right now that I can do a wired test on - my laptop is currently broken, and the router is in a completely different room to my PC. Is there anything else you would advise?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

One thing though is that the inconsistencies in both ping and DL speed are on both mine and my brothers PC.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Update: ping spikes still persist today, even up to 1500ms in some cases.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Ping spikes do not seem to happen when only my pc is connected to the network.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Hi all,

Have managed to connect a work laptop to the network via ethernet and running fast.com shows consistent speeds of 140Mbps.

Pinging google's 8.8.8.8 DNS brings very nice and low ping of around 4ms every time.

What could the issue be thats making the wireless speeds/ping so bad?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Could be any one of a whole host of different things that's why no ISP guarantees a wireless connection.

Here's a short list of the most common ones but there are many more.

• The way wireless router is positioned
  • Physical obstacles, like walls and floors
  • Any other wireless appliances (baby monitors, garage door openers, etc.)
  • Kitchen appliances, such as microwave or fridge
  • Other Wi-Fi networks in the same space
0 Ratings