cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Full Fibre 500?

Hi. I am a first time buyer. I work from home regularly 3/4 days a week. I do a lot of Teams calls. Other than that I use the internet for online shopping and watching TV. No gaming. I am single. 

I rang BT today and they advised me to go with Full Fibre 500 for reliability. He said he had only sold one Full Fibre 150 package in the last 6 months. It is however more than I budgeted for. Looking online at forums it feels like this might be a little overkill for my needs. Would anyone be able to help?

I haven't used a forum before but grateful for any input :-). Thank you in advance. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Fibre 500?

if you are only person going to use the internet then 150 should be ok for you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Fibre 150 will be more than fast enough

4K TV requires about 25Mbps, Teams about 5Mbps max.

Message 4 of 6

Thank you! I have just seen there is a Fibre 300. Would that be better, or go with Fibre 150? I will call them back and see what that does to the price.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

From your initial post, a piece of wet string would suffice.

See what price various packages are.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

We went for 300 to start and it was more than enough for two of us in the house - two concurrent VPNs running teams all day, Ultra HD TV streaming, many, many random work and personal mobile devices. All no problem at all.

However we did move to 500 a few months later, but that was not for the fibre speed. Rather because the Halo 3 deal was the cheapest way to get double mobile data (as we used to have pre-FTTP) plus the fallback mobile data options in the event of a fault (even though that is much less likely now with FTTP). £6 extra a month for 4GB extra on each of two phones whilst still keeping roaming and TNT sport (which you lose by going to EE). The extra 200Mbps on the broadband was only a bonus for us in this decision!

I can honestly say there is no practical difference - in fact despite the WiFi disks included in my deal most devices still only get 200-300Mbps around the house as they only get 5Ghz single band wifi. I do squeak 500Mbps on my desktop but only because it is wired into the back of a wifi disk so it gets to use both bands.

Actually there may have been one benefit - probably knocked some time off a download of Fallout 4 from Steam. But that really is it.

0 Ratings