cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Full Fibre 900: Ethernet or EZ Bend for long extension?

Go to solution

I have a question regarding the extent to which a long (20-25m) ethernet cable might degrade ultrafast broadband speeds.

I have ordered Full Fibre 900 to replace my current FTTC service, and following the initial survey I know that the CSP will be positioned on the outside of my lounge wall.  This is very close to my audio-visual set up but in a different room to my iMac, existing router, and the hub for my Cat5e network.  Ideally I would have the ONT & router installed close to my iMac but this would involve running  fibre cable  (EZ Bend, I presume) about 20-25m, a slightly tricky route involving going around a doorway and close to central heating pipes, and it is possible the engineer may be unable or unwilling to do this (particularly in the current pandemic when understandably they may wish to spend the shortest possible time in homes).  

An alternative would be to get the engineer to position the ONT a couple of metres away from the CSP (handy for my AV equipment) and for me to run a 20 or 25m ethernet cable from my iMac to the ONT.  My only concern with this is whether a modern Cat8 or Cat7 ethernet cable will impact significantly upon the speed at which my iMac can access the internet, compared to a fibre extension? 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Full Fibre 900: Ethernet or EZ Bend for long extension?

Go to solution

An Ethernet cable will have absolutely no impact on speed whatsoever.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Full Fibre 900: Ethernet or EZ Bend for long extension?

Go to solution

A Cat5e cable would be suitable, and will do approx 92metres with no loss of speed whatsoever