cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Full Fibre 900 - Slow WiFi and Smart Hub2 speeds

Hi, recently had Fibre to the home fitted, with the 900 Mbps package.  Got a few challenges:

1. Even with a Wi-Fi AX rated iPhone - I only get 250 Mbps standing right next to the SH2, which progressively drops to around 150Mbps as I move 10 feet away.  (Feels quite poor to me)

2. Despite having 4 Wi-Fi Discs in a number of rooms (well positioned with the app), the Black Discs only seem to throw out 150 Mbps each... when I run a speed test on two devices at the same time, it halves on each device (I was wondering if it was throttling per device)

I've changed and tried different channels - any other suggestion?   It just feels like the discs are 'restrictive' and should pump out more and the SH2 seems to lack the ability to pump out a strong signal unless I'm in touching distance of it.   

Am I missing any settings on the SH2?  And what's the point of 900 package if this is all I'm getting?   Thanks in advance for any ideas..

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Full Fibre 900 - Slow WiFi and Smart Hub2 speeds

@RufFywrote:

Am I missing any settings on the SH2?  And what's the point of 900 package if this is all I'm getting?   Thanks in advance for any ideas..

There is no point having the 900 package if you are only going to be using wireless unless you need the higher upload speed.  You can buy your own Wifi 6 (802.11ax) router if you want higher wifi speeds.  You would need to connect your SH2 discs with an Ethernet backhaul to improve the speeds.

Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the speedy response! Appreciated. A couple of follow up questions...

1. Is the SH2 simply not good enough - and is 150mbps all I should expect from the discs? 

2. What sort of WiFi speeds would I typically expect to see with the router you described and an associated mesh work typically be? (Are we simply talking 10% more or a significant difference?)

thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I must add that the BT SH2 doesn’t support WiFi 6 and it only supports WiFi 5. You would need a WiFi 6 router connected to the BT SH2 (as a modem) to receive speeds of excess of 450-500Mbps wirelessly. You’re never going to get 1GB on a wired connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Why the hell do they sell it then, that's ridiculous.

Regardless, the SH2 is capable of higher than 100mbps easily

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

What do you mean?

SH2 is capable of gigabit speeds wired and depending on the wireless device you could see speeds of around 400-550mb but with WiFi 6 - that speed can be increased slightly.

0 Ratings