cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Full Fibre 900 with own router

Go to solution

Hi there, 

I'm considering switching over from Virgin as fibre 900 is now available in my area. I currently use an EdgeRouter Lite with the virgin router in modem mode. 

I have read conflicting things on this forum and others about the ability to do similar with BT broadband. 

Do new full fibre 900 installations still come with an Openreach ONT? If so could that be plugged into my Edgerouter for the WAN connection, negating any need for using a BT hub at all? 

If not, I read that I can use a Draytek Vigor 130 as the modem and then plug that into my existing router. Could anyone confirm that? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Full Fibre 900 with own router

Go to solution

The ONT is the modem so no draytek is needed. Any router with a wan port should connect to the ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Do new full fibre 900 installations still come with an Openreach ONT? If so could that be plugged into my Edgerouter for the WAN connection

____________________________________________________________________________________

Openreach will fit the ONT whether it is the Huawei or the latest Nokia unit.

Any router of  your choice can of course be fitted should you not want the supplied Home Hub from BT

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Are new installations always done with a separate ONT? I'd read somewhere that some fibre installs are using a 2 in 1 router/modem so you would have to provide your own modem if using your own router.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

All Openreach FTTP connections are with an ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

@xeroshikari  I suspect you are confusing FTTP with FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hello, 

I have an Asus RT-AC56U. Any of you knows if I would be able to use their router?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@pedrofreitaswrote:

Hello, 

I have an Asus RT-AC56U. Any of you knows if I would be able to use their router?

Thanks!

It will work but probably only up to 200-300Mbps download speed so not suitable for Fibre 900.

Go to solution

@pedrofreitas 

The Asus RT version I believe is cable / FTTP only without a built in modem.

If you have FTTC you will of course need a modem in which case your router will work but you will need a separate modem.

If you are FTTP yes it will work perfect for the lower end tiers. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Guys hope all are safe and well, I have an ASUS RT 3200 and have just had  the 900 FFTP service installed. I assume I can change the BT hub to this  - what config settings do I need to change ?

0 Ratings