cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Full Fibre Installation. Property is significant distance from telegraph pole in the street.

I am due to get Full Fibre installed at the end of the month (OpenReach engineer visit is booked) but due to the long distance between my property and the closest telegraph pole where the fibre cables are on my road, I can't see how the OpenReach engineer will actually get me connected unless the OpenReach team dig a long trench to lay the cable.

From my property...
(1) There is no direct line of sight to any telegraph pole on the road (my neighbour's houses are in the way).
(2) My property is set back from the road, the distance from the road to the outside wall of my property is ~80m.

When I placed the order for Full Fibre I did ask if BT / OpenReach needed to come to make a survey prior to installation given the lack of direct visibility of the telegraph poles and the long driveway.  I was told that no pre-install survey was required and that I would get connected on the day that the engineer is booked.

Has anyone had experience with similar installations, I'm having difficulty believing that this install is going to be 'smooth sailing'.

Cheers,
Kieran

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Full Fibre Installation. Property is significant distance from telegraph pole in the street.

How does your phone line get to the property?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Full Fibre Installation. Property is significant distance from telegraph pole in the street.

It is buried, runs under the driveway somewhere.
Had some ground works done a few years ago (drain repair) and we found a section of the phone cable, it isn’t in any channel or conduit, just buried alongside sewage, gas and electric services (yes, all are buried together).
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Then I can't see the installation going ahead and the engineer submitting a report.

Message 5 of 10

An FTTP Order will only generate a Step 1 Task, be it a Rod and Rope or Line of Sight Check if a potential issue is reported against the CPE during the PON Survey.

If it’s not then it’ll just be assumed that it can go ahead via a One Step Process.

What'll now happen on the day is the Installation Engineer will come out and realise he/she can’t do the job and depending on whether that Engineer works for Openreach or one of its Contractors is what happens next.

To many variables for me to write as different areas so different things.

Message 6 of 10

Kinda thought it was not going to be simple install. 😞
Oh well, will see what happens later this month.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Sounds similar to my situation.

There is no line of site between my house and the pole the fibre comes from either.  The line runs overhead to another pole in the garden of the neighbour on my side of the road, across the road to a bracket attached to the house on the other side of the road, and then back over the road to the corner of my house.  It then runs inside the guttering to the other end of the house, is strapped to the down pipe and ends at a box on the outside wall, from where another cable goes through the wall to the ONT inside the house.

It took several months to sort out.  The neighbour over the road was willing to allow the cable to be attached to her house, but as a retired solicitor who had spent much of her career negotiating wayleave agreements, she didn't like the agreement Openreach wanted her to sign.  It took a long time before amended wording was agreed, not least because Openreach were very slow replying to my neighbour's emails.  I spent a lot of time chasing the man in Openreach dealing with the wayleave and asking him to reply to my neighbour.   

Three other neighbours ordered a line from the same pole at the same time as I did, but I was connected several weeks later than them because of the delay with the wayleave.

Good luck

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi how did you fair out with your install? I think mine will be something similar I have no Duct from the road or telephone poles near my house. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Solution was to install a new pole on my property. Luckily, the way that my driveway and land (that I own) in front of my house is arranged, we were able to find a suitable location for the pole that was agreeable and the few neighbours that I have were good with the location too.
Message 10 of 10

potential problems should be picked up at the ‘network’ survey and the address ‘set’ as such , then the first installer visit isn’t the contractual date , but an opportunity to put in place the remedy, so as per the OP , a ‘line of sight’ issue , where the existing pole cannot directly ‘hit’ the address , and feeder pole agreed to and provided to get around the issue .

Check your address on the DSL checker 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

There should be a survey statement something like this

‘Residential Single dwelling , underground, built to curtilage hard’ , the survey note will ( should ) indicate if the install is straightforward or complex and the type of service, overhead, underground etc , in some areas if the existing service is underground via buried cables ( rather than in  duct ) there are several possibilities  that would be discussed when the installation survey ( 1st visit ) takes place.