cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Full Fibre - Just signed up but now confused.

I discovered yesterday that Full Fibrre was now switched on in my area.  I signed up.  What was said on the call was that the line would be effectively pulled through to where my current line is.  This was good as my PC which is next to box is hard wired and not wireless.

Today, Open Reach turned up to survey the connection.  He was unsure how they fibre cable would get into the house as it currently end at the front of the garden but the house is raised up from that.  In short it will involve digged up garden, going through or more likely under railway sleepers and end up where Sky cable is going through.

This will mean that my router will be well away from my PC and not wireable.

I have a very poor wi-fi signal in the house.  Did upgrade to Halo 2 to get the discs but two routers and two sets of discs later it didn't improve the signal one bit and I went back to Halo 1.

Questions

Will wi-fi signal be better via fibre optic in the house rather than copper?

Will my garden be put back to how it was?

I built my PC and it does not have wi-fi capability as I didn't need it built in at the time.  Therefore is there a decent either usb wi-fi connector or card which will handle the new speeds which I should be getting?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Full Fibre - Just signed up but now confused.

@Dinglebert 

Welcome to this user forum.

There would be no difference in the wireless, and if its further away, it will be weaker.

These might be a better option to extend the wireless.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

You can get a version with two remote hotspot units.

Or if you just need an Ethernet connection, then look on this page.

https://shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Or, you could ask the install engineer to site the ONT where it is better for you. It does not have to go where the fibre enters the property. Most install engineers will happily place the ONT where you want it unless there is good reason why not.

Just talk to him/her when they arrive.

Message 4 of 5

Disappointing to hear wireless will not be improved. Open Reach person today at my door insisted it would be better.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@Dinglebert wrote:
Disappointing to hear wireless will not be improved. Open Reach person today at my door insisted it would be better.

Its the power output of the home hub that determines the range and speed of the wireless.

All wireless routers are limited to a certain power level, so they do not interfere with other devices which share the same frequencies.

0 Ratings