cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 26

Re: Full Fibre - Old Copper Line?

@licquorice  you are more than likely correct.

Bizarre he was telling me there is such a surge on FTTP the stores at Leeds have nothing in.

That would create a problem. 😂😂😂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 26

Hi. Late arrival to this discussion. We went FFTP about two weeks ago. I told the guy I wanted to continue using my Netgear Nighthawk. He said I therefore couldn't use  the new Digital phone - fair enough - and he connected the copper element of the dual cable to the existing socket. I found out today we have a great dial tone but numbers are not being recognised at the exchange. A nice lady on the fault reporting line told me that I'd been changed over to Digital at the exchange could not be changed back to old style copper, partly because copper would be obseleted in 2025.

I read on another forum topic how to chain a generic router to the BT Smart Hub, involving lots of configuration stuff on both the BT and my router, and can't see I have any alternative to giving it a shot.

Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 26

Change of plan now, he has split the pair and left the original copper now.

2025 copper will be no more apparently. 

copper.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 26

@colbartram wrote:

partly because copper would be obseleted in 2025.

Its only the PSTN exchange equipment that is being turned off in about 2025, copper cables are going to be around forever, as many services still need it.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 26

Copper/Fibre Hybrid Cable is still used Overhead regardless of whether they use the Copper Pair or not.

UG Cable has always just been Fibre only and the existing 2 or 5 pair UG has remained in place.

Openreach are in the process of bringing in a Fibre Only Cable that can be used Overhead and Underground. Although a lot of Engineers are concerned about using it Overhead as it doesn’t feel/look structurally sound.

Personally I’d rather they continue to use the Overhead Fibre Cable they have now, just remove the Copper Pair in it. But it all boils down to cost though. 😒

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 26

Hmmm  the nice Openreach guy who split the copper off from the new fibre and connected to my old socket because I said I want to use my old phone can't have known that they would kill us off at the Exchange - and refuse to re-enable....

We've a grand mixture of underground and overhead between us and the cabinet 2 miles away in the next village. Before we went FFTP, the old copper could give us about 4Mbps. But every time it got a bit windy the internet would be dropping out every hour or few hours, with a speed as low as 120K. By the time Openreach get here a few days later the vulnerability can't be traced. It happened so many times we had to go fibre as soon as they'd reached our end of the lane.

Hey ho. There's no dropout now and 40Mbps download is fine.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 26

@busterboy1wrote:

Engineer is fitting twin fibre / copper to mine as I type this  @pippincp 

I asked him not 2 minutes go. 

The forum's not doing too bad, only took  over 13 hrs to let me know you'd replied.😂

2020-11-26 00_12_11-You got a mention - pippincp.png

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 26

@colbartramwrote:

Hi. Late arrival to this discussion. We went FFTP about two weeks ago. I told the guy I wanted to continue using my Netgear Nighthawk. He said I therefore couldn't use  the new Digital phone - fair enough - and he connected the copper element of the dual cable to the existing socket. I found out today we have a great dial tone but numbers are not being recognised at the exchange. A nice lady on the fault reporting line told me that I'd been changed over to Digital at the exchange could not be changed back to old style copper, partly because copper would be obseleted in 2025.

I read on another forum topic how to chain a generic router to the BT Smart Hub, involving lots of configuration stuff on both the BT and my router, and can't see I have any alternative to giving it a shot.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck with that one, that's what happened to me. They DID move back to PSTN but they screwed up!

I still don't have a fully working phone line and BT still haven't sorted it.  SO what have I done,  put in an order with another provider.  No more BT for me. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 26

When you ordered, did it say anything about moving to "Digital Voice"?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 26

Apparently the website might be wrong for some areas.

It is still showing digital voice as the only option me but it doesn't work (problem with BT.openReach) and it will have to remain fibre for internet and PSTN for phone.

They cannot update the website to show the correct information.

0 Ratings