cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Full Fibre Question regarding possibly downgrading later on

Go to solution

If I take the full fibre service and needed to downgrade (to fibre 1/2) after the 24mth contract, would fibre 1/2 then still use the fibre cable coming into the house, or would it go back to using the copper line?.

I would kind of be hoping the copper cable is removed during installation and the fibre cable would use the existing hole. (overhead - pole)

thanks. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Full Fibre Question regarding possibly downgrading later on

Go to solution

You can select any fibre package on FTTP there is no restriction

the copper cable will not be removed and unless you are getting digital voice you will need existing cable for phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks.

I got the 'Full Fibre Has Arrived At [street name]' letter from BT, yet no-one has been near any street pole near me (afaik).  Then again, I know nothing about how these things are progressed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Cancelled my upgrade to full fibre over similar concerns.

Having read that BT are now pushing a huge rollout of this service based on the OFCOM regulators not setting a price cap on the services charges, I can't help but expect significant price hikes after the initial contract which is only slightly higher than my current broadband (at 5 times less speed up and down).

Good to know that downgrading should be possible (although who can say what the case will be in 1 or 2 years from now). However I'm still largely put off by such an improvement for such little initial price increase and feel it's going to bite me later when I can't downgrade. All looks like a big red flag at this point.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

If you take out a fixed term contract with BT, you obviously have to see out the full term of that contract or you would be liable to penalty charges.

Once the fixed term contract is finished, you are on what is often referred to as a "rolling" 30 day contract. This means that you can leave BT at anytime as long as you give them 30 days notice.

This also means that you can enter into a new fixed term contract if you wish. The new fixed term contract can be for any BT Broadband package that you want even if it is a "downgrade" from your previous fixed term contract.

All the fibre packages are still available when you recontract. What you would not get is any possible "new" customer deals, although having said that you can still negotiate to get a good deal because being no longer in a fixed term contract you now have the option to leave and go to a new ISP.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

"If you take out a fixed term contract with BT, you obviously have to see out the full term of that contract or you would be liable to penalty charges."

I'm not sure why you thought adding that was relevant, but apart from that, thanks for your thoughts.

I think you're right, a change of ISP is in order.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

It was added to explain to forum users who may not know what people enter into when they take out a contract with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

The whole price hike thing is a complete myth nowadays, they've agreed no bb package will go up more than £8 when the contract ends & send out at least 2 reminders before it does anyway so there's no way you'd be hit with a massive hike at the end of the initial contract

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Peteorama wrote:

"If you take out a fixed term contract with BT, you obviously have to see out the full term of that contract or you would be liable to penalty charges."

I'm not sure why you thought adding that was relevant, but apart from that, thanks for your thoughts.

Not sure why you thought posting that comment was relevant.