cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Full Fibre Speed Test

Go to solution

Have recently moved from FTTC to FTTP and using BT phone number with the BTW Performance Tester (btwholesale.com)  does not register my FTTP speeds. 

Ethernet connection to Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test says my BT Full Fibre 100 plan speed test is 10 ms Ping, 94.59 Mbps download, and 28.88 Mbps upload. Windows 10 says download Ethernet Link speed is 100/100 (Mbps), but my BT 100 plan is 150 Mbps download speed with the BT Stay Fast Guarantee of 100 Mbps and upload speed of 30 Mbps. 

Although online full fibre speed is still being assessed for my line, it will never get 150 Mbps whilst the BT 100 link speed maximum threshold is set at 100 Mbps. 

Is BT monitoring my new BT Full Fibre 100 plan, to automatically instigate download speed correction without my intervention? 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Full Fibre Speed Test

Go to solution

Try using fast.com with ethernet cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @imjolly  have used four online ethernet speed tests:-
1. Broadband Genie says 94.41 Mbps Download, 30.00 Mbps Upload.
2. Fast.com (powered by Netflix) says Latency Unloaded 3 ms Loaded 120 ms, Download 90 Mbps, Upload 29 Mbps.
3. MoneySupermarket says 92.2 Mbps Download, 28 Mbps Upload.
4. Speedtest.net says 10 ms Ping, 94.59 Mbps download, and 28.88 Mbps upload

These ethernet full fibre speed tests are all less than the BT Stay Fast Guarantee of 100 Mbps. 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Bear in mind all the speeds quoted by BT are connection speed to your hub not download speed at your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Openreach Full Fibre 2nd Stage Engineer says my ONT modem hardware installation can deliver 1Gbps to devices in my House.  Windows 10 says BT Plan Ethernet Link maximum download speed will never allow more than 100 Mbps.  The new BT Full Fibre Plan fails to deliver the advertised download speed of 150 Mbps. 

The Ethernet cable is plugged into the BT Smart Hub 2. The BT Plan is not delivering the BT Stay Fast Guarantee of 100 Mbps. Openreach Full Fibre 2nd Stage Engineer says there no hardware fault that prevents getting more than the advertised 150 Mbps. 

Something has gone wrong and I am not on the correct BT Full Fibre Plan. The Ombudsman review of BT Deadlock letter option to terminate the new BT Full Fibre Plan with no penalty is being considered.  

Why is it apparently difficult for BT Journey to deliver the agreed contract? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

It would appear your PC/laptop only has a 10/100 Ethernet card rather than a GbE card.

Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

FTTP can deliver more speed than you currently pay for , but it’s unlikely that you have been put on the wrong speed profile as you comfortably exceed the 80Mb download profile , you therefore are ‘connected’ at at least the speed profile you pay for …this connection is set, it doesn’t vary , it’s not observable by you, by looking at the router stats, or ‘windows’ , and they way the system works you are either working or not, there is no variance like ADSL/VDSL, if the correct profile is set, you get the connection speed you pay for.

As already stated , download and connection speeds are not the same, download is affected by many things that your provider and Openreach  have no control over, in your case  D/L is pretty close to 100Mb ( which coincidentally happens to be the minimum speed guarantee and the limit of older Ethernet equipment fitted in some PC/laptops …as already stated it’s entirely possible that it’s now your own equipment that is limiting your download speed .

FWIW, Openreach FTTP ( PON) is a system where up to 32 users ‘share’ bandwidth of 2.4Gb download , 1.2Gb upload, if you happen to be connected to a PON that’s got all 32 possible connections in use and many are intensive users , you may see speed dip, but in general it’s more than enough bandwidth, if you feel it’s not enough ( 2.4Gb ) , do a speed test at a quiet time of day , avoiding peak hours (6pm till 90pm or whatever), if no difference then it’s not over-utilisation, again proving the PON is delivering what it’s supposed to and indicating it’s your own gear.

As far as being excused your minimum term commitment because your perceived performance is fractionally less than the guarantee, then that’s unlikely, because it’s more likely that there is nothing wrong and it’s your own equipment that’s now limiting your speed, finally , if you were getting 100Mb ( thereby satisfying the minimum guarantee ) instead of 90Mb , in day to day use there is going to be noticeable difference anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Yes, this is the problem. You said it in your first post.

The Ethernet link speed is 100Mbps so you’re never going to get beyond higher speeds unless you can resolve this issue.

This is the physical link speed between the PC and router and nothing to do with what the broadband can deliver.

Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

That shows 1Gpbs. I thought you were saying that Windows was showing 100Mbps?

0 Ratings