cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Full Fibre Speed Test

Go to solution

Hi @dave44  I have revisited Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 and it says says download Ethernet Link speed is 100/100 (Mbps), and OP does not have a typographical error.  The dogma to always use Ethernet during speed tests was followed. Intuitively, Device Manager has now been asked to scan for hardware changes and did not find any new hardware changes. However, Windows 10 now says Ethernet Link speed is 1000/1000 (Mbps). I do not pretend to understand why the Windows 10 Ethernet Link speed has changed. Ethernet Speedtest.net now says download speed is 150 Mbps. 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

@crimsom 

What can happen is that Ethernet link speed auto-negotiate, can select the wrong speed due to link timing issues between different devices, especially cheap consumer hardware.

You can prevent this by configuring the Ethernet adapter on your computer so that its set to 1000mb Full Duplex, and not auto-negotiate. This is a very common problem and has been reported before on this forum.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

It can often be corrected by putting a 1Gb Ethernet switch between the LAN port on the home hub, and the LAN port on your computer. Ethernet switches are better at analysing the link pulse to determine the correct rate.

Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  My Dell Alienware 17 R5 laptop with Windows 10 Pro is £2,400 and I consider this to be an expensive laptop. The BT Smart Hub 2 Ethernet ports should be sufficient and not require an additional 1Gb Ethernet switch.  Seemingly the cheap BT Smart Hub 2 (aka Home Hub 6DX) needs another upgrade. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

The smart hub 2 is just a cheap mass produces ISP router, so the hardware manufacturing tolerance is not going to be that narrow, unlike expensive commercial equipment.

The Ethernet link pulse is very short and if the data within it is not interpreted correctly, then you end up on the wrong speed, which results in a default of 100mbs. Just lock the Ethernet adapter to 1000mbs, its normally an option within the device properties.

Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Ethernet Link Speed Capped at 100 Mbps (intel.com)

There is no option for 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex with Killer Ethernet drivers. Auto Negotiation will give a 1.0 Gbps link speed, provided your other networking equipment auto-negotiates correctly. Auto Negotiation is the correct setting for Gigabit speeds in Speed & Duplex for Killer Networking Adapters. 

Killer Control Center: Network Settings are Download speed 1500 Mbps, and Upload speed 1500 Mbps. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Having used the Ookla tester to see good results, I wondered why the wifi link to an Android 'phone was so poor (typically 30MBd download, but better upload!). After extensive testing, I realised that far better performance could be achieved by turning off the 2.4GHz wifi, and forcing the 'phone to log onto the 5GHz band (>100MBd.) It turns out that for my Samsung 'phone, setting MAC address type to "Use device MAC", as opposed to Randomised makes the 'phone use 5GHz if the signal strength is good enough. Simples.

0 Ratings