cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Full Fibre

Hi,

I've recently become eligible for full fibre broadband.

What does it involve in terms of running cables into house etc. I could do without major disruption.

TIA

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Full Fibre

It involves running a fibre cable to your house and fitting an ONT inside. The clue is in the name, Fibre to the Premises.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Means drilling several holes and if you’re lucky the Engineer might take pride in his work and make it look neat job, although those kind are very few and far between these days.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Thanks,

I assumed that, but BT website makes light of it and the guy on the online help said it wouldn't require any new cabling at all!

I assumed it would involve new cabling etc, so I'll give it a miss. maybe wait for wireless 5G to become established...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Its just a twin optic fibre, that comes in near your original POTS line.
The minimum bend radius means that the outside wall box is a bit deeper than maybe some expect, but Its not massive I believe (wating for mine to be installed in two weeks). I will report back on how it goes as mine is right outside the front door and I dont want a poor job.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Twin Fibre Optic Cable?

Openreach don’t use Twin, aka a Pair of Fibres. 

The newer Connectorised Fibre uses a single Fibre and the older Blown Fibre Tubing had a 4 Fibre Bundle Blown into the CSP but they only ever used 1 Fibre per OGEA Circuit and the EZ Bend Fibre from the CSP to the ONT was a Single Fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Well, the cable sat outside my house coiled up ready for installation is a black figure of 8 style so I assumed it has a in and out fibre.

Not really looked into it. What type of fibre do openreach use ?, Mono or multimode step or graded index ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

You assumed wrongly. @Starwire  can possibly answer the rest.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

So it seems..... thanks for that......
Still, small detail and doesn't change the point.
But will be interested Starwire, in more details. I did fibre transmission at Manchester and the Professor who gave the lectures was a bit of a curmudgeon to us lowly engineers (probably didn't help when I fell asleep in one 😉 ). Getting our heads around Modes caused us all headaches 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

Had a look at the cable and its definitely two 'core' figure of 8 style black insulation.

0 Ratings