Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: Full Fibre

Combined fibre and copper cable.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Let’s see a picture of this 2 Core, or Pair of Fibres you’ve got.

Not heard anything about Openreach using such cable, there would be no point in it.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

@licquorice

I’ve not heard anything about Openreach using a 2 Core or Pair of Fibres.

Can’t see why they would.

As you said I suspect what he’s looking at is the Copper Pair in a Hybrid Cable.

Guess I’ll just have to wait a see if he uploads a picture.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Will try and get a better picture but

fibre.jfif

I think you can see that its two 'cores' joined (the second run down, you can see the dip between them)

It almost looks like 80's speaker cable !

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

To give you an idea of the fibre/copper cable diameter, the Openreach engineer was able to use the existing hole in the brickwork. The Nokia ONT was fitted in the same place as the redundant Openreach modem

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

That’s a Hybird Cable. The smaller side has a single Copper Pair in it and the thick one has a Single Fibre in it, not a Pair of Fibres or 2 Core as you say.

It’s the Connectorised Fibre Openreach have been using for a few years now on the Overhead Network, although it can also be used in the Underground Network as well.

They will soon be moving away from it though and just providing a Single Fibre with No Copper Pair in it for Overhead as well.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

I’ve got an O/H and U/G Provide today so I’ll get you some pictures of the cable sheathed down.

Message 18 of 19

I see.
Having only really worked with FDDI type cable, I assumed it was twin fibre. I do remember at Uni discussing bi-directional fibre but it wasn't something that was realistic at the time (yes, it was that long ago 🙂 )
It will be interesting to see if I keep my phone line or move to VoIP as the order page didn't really specify.
Not that it matters as I believe POTS will be dead by 2025 ?
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Well, looking at the cable, both 'cores' are the same size.

Just had a look at the cable ends.
Guess what ?

They are both optic fibres 🙂 (yes I have examined them with a high mag loupe)

Now its likely that only one core will be used as it seems the ONT will only expect one ?

Its a cable made by Corning optical tech Corning SMF bend insensitive fibre (BIF) but cant find the exact type from all the numbers on it, which are

CORNING OPTICAL CABLE
SMF BIF 5000865145 FASTACCESS <TM> TECNOLOGY
023518 FT

I see the fastaccess is about the ability to strip back the sheath make off the connection quicker and SMF I'm assuming from the Coring data, to be single mode fibre.

All a bit pointless, but fun to know.
0 Ratings