cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 38

Re: Neighbour has fibre I can't

Hi Imjolly,

Can you explain to me what difference one's phone number makes regarding fibre? The engineer that came to call (as in my original post) pointed out to me the pole and the spur that carry the fibre connections. My main complaint is that it's not my side of the street and it's not my postcode. It is SOLELY my address! According to the same engineer, all that is required is that someone runs a fibre cable from the pole (which I can see from my front door) to my house. Period! That's all that's needed. No-one at BT or OpenReach can tell me why that isn't possible! Do you have any experience with this? Thinking on it further - my phone number is utterly irrelevant anyway since we're talking about FTTP and not FTTC! Even if it was FTTC I could understand there might be a discrepancy - but definitely NOT FTTP! None of it makes any sense. Many  thanks for your reply.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 38

Your phone number is not irrelevant, it is the most accurate method of determining the availability of fibre as it reveals the EXACT routing to your property.

Can you answer the question I posed earlier please?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 38

Hi Licquorice,

This is our immediate neighbour who is IN our same postcode.

Screenshot 2021-12-27 at 21.18.28.jpg

 Thank you for your reply.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 38

@Nuketamilnadu wrote:

Hi Imjolly,

Can you explain to me what difference one's phone number makes regarding fibre? The engineer that came to call (as in my original post) pointed out to me the pole and the spur that carry the fibre connections. My main complaint is that it's not my side of the street and it's not my postcode. It is SOLELY my address! According to the same engineer, all that is required is that someone runs a fibre cable from the pole (which I can see from my front door) to my house. Period! That's all that's needed. No-one at BT or OpenReach can tell me why that isn't possible! Do you have any experience with this? Thinking on it further - my phone number is utterly irrelevant anyway since we're talking about FTTP and not FTTC! Even if it was FTTC I could understand there might be a discrepancy - but definitely NOT FTTP! None of it makes any sense. Many  thanks for your reply.

I would remind you that everyone here is a customer just like you.  I appreciate your frustration but the tone of your posts suggests you have forgotten.  People who post here are trying to help and as @licquorice posted your phone number is the most accurate way of finding what is available to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 38

@Nuketamilnadu wrote:

Hi Licquorice,

This is our immediate neighbour who is IN our same postcode.

 Thank you for your reply.

OK, that indicates FTTP available.

Whilst entering your number is the most accurate, if there is a database discrepancy it might be inaccurate. Can yo enter your address rather than phone number in the checker and see what that reveals please?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 38

Hi Licquorice,

This is what I get when I enter my address (redacted) into BT's own fibre deals checker page. You will notice that it only talks about ADSL - which is what I already have. I don't know how to use my actual address in any of the more detailed or diagnostic pages since they ask for data that I don't have - other than my telephone number. Thank you for your response. PS: I only took a screenshot of the relevant bits. There is a load of other advertising and Covid information below this which is irrelevant to this discussion. Thank you again.

Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 08.40.05.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 38

Hi @Nuketamilnadu,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry you haven't been able to order Full Fibre. It does look like there could be a database discrepancy.

Do you get the same result when you enter the Telephone number and your address when using the availability checker?

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 38

Hi PaddyB!

I get the same results from both the general enquiry-type, address-based checker and the more detailed, technical telephone number checker. I have raised the possibility of a database error many, many times with BT and all that happens is that I get a very perfunctory email saying they've raised it with OpenReach. They then 'close the case' and I hear nothing more - ever! I'm trying to get an understanding of exactly how they determine who can and who can't get fibre. I come from an IT/Physics background - so I'm firmly on home soil with this. The most frustrating part is that an OpenReach engineer - himself - informed me that all that is required is for someone to run a fibre link from my house to the distribution pole which I can see from my own front door just past the end of my front garden (well, 'garden' in the loosest sense :-_)) I'm struggling to understand the problem. Many thanks for your response.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 38

The checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL has an address checker function as well as phone number checker. It is this function we are asking you to check to see if there is a general discrepancy or just with your phone number.

addresscheck.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 38

Thanks Licquorice! I'll give it a shot and let you know... Be back in a couple of mins.

0 Ratings