Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Full fibre questions..

Go to solution

We are in the process of getting a BT Community Fibre Partnership FTTP solution deployed. There are contractors rolling out fibre on the poles in the area, and installing CBTs on the top of various poles. but there's a couple of questions we can't seem to get clear answers to. Anyone able to help? 

1. We had thought that the CFP programme deployed all the equipment as far as the premise, but it appears that it only goes as far as the CBTs. Who organises the connection between the CBT and our houses? Do we do that or does the service provider we order a full fibre solution from organise it for us as part of the connection process? None of the properties have ONTs, as we're all copper based at the moment. So I guess we'll all need ONTs put in as part of the installation. Although no-one seems to be doing house visits until lockdown ends!

2. The ONT appears to have a TEL port - presumably for Telephone. Can you plug a normal phone into this and use your existing number, thereby making the old phone line redundant? Or is there an extra service you have to order in order to do this? Or do you have to keep the copper in order to use a normal phone? 

Thanks in advance...

Chris

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Chris28
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Full fibre questions..

Go to solution

1. When an order for full fibre is placed with a supplier, they will arrange for Openreach to connect your property from the CBT on the pole to your house. This will involve a new ONT being installed inside your property. Unfortunately, Openreach are not able to complete this due to the COVID-19 pandemic at this time.

2. They will most likely use a hybrid fibre cable which is a fibre optic cable and a copper pair. The fibre optic cable will carry your Internet traffic while the copper cable will replace your existing phone cable so you should not notice any difference to your phone service. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

The Tel1 port is no longer used, it was for the now discontinued FVA (Fibre voice access). You may not get a copper phone line and will get Digital voice which is provided via the fibre.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Openreach are discontinuing the FVA Service soon as it’s costly to maintain.

New ONT’s will no longer have an FVA Port. The Nokia one doesn’t have one at all and the Huawei ones are supposed to be changing in June I think.

chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Interesting, thanks for the answers, just wish Openreach were as responsive! Sounds like it's going to be Digital Voice. for the phone line. Looking at the marketing stuff, it mentions it's only available "in certain scenarios.." - I'm guessing that FTTP is one of those scenarios? Does your existing number get ported

What's the physical connectivity between a Digital Voice handset/base station and the network? Is this wired and if so to what (the ONT?), or does it run over WiFi?

Ref the ONT installation - will be interesting to see how long this takes. I suspect there must be a backlog of installs. They haven't finished the cabling on the poles yet so by the time it's all up, running and tested hopefully the backlog will have cleared.

Chris

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

If you have an existing phone line they may well leave it in place as well & jusr use the new fibre for the broadband

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Getting FTTP doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get VOiP at the same time of your FTTP Installation.

Chances are you’ll retain your Phone Service using a Metallic Path until such time you a converted over to the VOiP System, which could be anytime up to 2025.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

The BT router (Hub) has a built in DECT base station for Digital Voice.

CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@chrisfsiwrote:

Interesting, thanks for the answers, just wish Openreach were as responsive! Sounds like it's going to be Digital Voice. for the phone line. Looking at the marketing stuff, it mentions it's only available "in certain scenarios.." - I'm guessing that FTTP is one of those scenarios? Does your existing number get ported

What's the physical connectivity between a Digital Voice handset/base station and the network? Is this wired and if so to what (the ONT?), or does it run over WiFi?

Ref the ONT installation - will be interesting to see how long this takes. I suspect there must be a backlog of installs. They haven't finished the cabling on the poles yet so by the time it's all up, running and tested hopefully the backlog will have cleared.

Chris

@chrisfsi  to expand on @licquorice 's reply.  Digital Voice works via DECT to the Smart Hub.  Assuming the supplied Hub is the same as on FTTC (IE a Smart Hub 2) there is a Tel port on the back of it.  ALL calls go via the Hub and there is no use of the "voice" part of the line (for FTTC).  See page 2 of this guide for the rear of the Hub 2.

Hopefully this has not misinformed you in anyway.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
chrisfsi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Presumably if I retain the phone service using a Metallic Path (I'm assuming copper..) I'll be paying for both copper line rental and the FTTP service?
I'll ask them what the plans are for Digital Voice. Thanks!
0 Ratings