cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Full speed but only 7mb/15mb speeds

Just stumbled upon an issue with my speed tonight.

Wholesale and Bt.com speed checker both say around 75mb/15mb but actual speeds from 3 computers are not downloading higher than around 7mb.

These are not tested at the same time of course but i thought it might have been my LAN port on my desktop but the two laptops are given the same speeds, all three tested through wired connections also.

Even my profile says this:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 75.05 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbp

I have had 3 reboots in the last 3 days, all after the new firmware version too according to the hub log.

Everything might be okay tomorrow but i am a little concerned as i have had no real issues regarding speeds for quite a while.

Is there maintenance being carried out in my area??

I know you used to be able to check if there was but i cant remember where to find that info.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Full speed but only 7mb/15mb speeds

I think that you are confusing bits and bytes a download speed of 75 Mb would equal a 7 Mb file transfer rate

Service staus can be found at the top of this boards Main index page
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

@john46 wrote:
I think that you are confusing bits and bytes a download speed of 75 Mb would equal a 7 Mb file transfer rate

Service staus can be found at the top of this boards Main index page

Actually 75Mb = 9.375MB even you it seems doesn't know that there are 8 bits in a Byte not 10 and in referring to Bytes should use an upper case B.

0 Ratings
jonwackers
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Did another speedtest, same 6mb-7mb off the speedtester, unplugged the hub, put into the master socket (my desktop running off openreach extension upstairs) and got full speed.

Plugged it back in upstairs and got full speed also.

Did switch off the hub for about 10 mins before i went to work this morning so i was expecting to see full speed when i got home (didnt have time to test this morning after plugging it back in)

But i didnt remove it from the socket unlike earlier so i guess that was the issue.

Had to do it once ot twice before to get speeds back up to normal but havent had to do it in a long time.

0 Ratings