Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: G.Fast Install Specifics Question

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I assume you have some form of fallback arrangement, should you lose service for a period of time?

BT Business have the new BT 4G Assure service, should you ever decide to change.

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/bt-4g-assure-broadband-router-businesses-connected-113642...

Yes. My firewall/router is able to take a 4G connection via USB. I use a Huawei 4G USB dongle with an unlimited 4G PAYG SIM from Three.  If the WAN connection ever drops out it fails straight over to the 4G connection. I just need to make sure the SIM is topped up with credit if there is a problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

@damienbutt wrote:

How? I don't run public facing servers or anything like that? I don't require any public static IP's. In terms of how the connection is used. I use it like any other consumer in a home. To just access the internet, download and upload a few files. Watch Netlfix mainly.

It depends on how you interpret.

https://www.bt.com/terms/post11thjan2019voiceandbroadband/

Section 6a.

Also Section 11b  note xii

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@damienbuttwrote:

How? I don't run public facing servers or anything like that? I don't require any public static IP's. In terms of how the connection is used. I use it like any other consumer in a home. To just access the internet, download and upload a few files. Watch Netlfix mainly.

It depends on how you interpret.

https://www.bt.com/terms/post11thjan2019voiceandbroadband/

Section 6a.

Also Section 11b  note xii

I see. Yes, I agree. It certainly depends on how you interpret it. It's a bit laughable though as it must be the case then that a lot of people are in breach. People who would usually work from their work premises and decide to do a days work from home, connecting to the companies email, VPN and other services. They would also be in breach as this would technically be "business or professional" use. Or people who take a sick day but have to respond to a few work emails from home on thier phone or potentially take a quick Wifi business related call. Some people I know are employed by a business but are permanently based from home. These people must all be breach too. Sole traders that need to generate an invoice and email it too.

I can understand if it's a substantial business, employing multiple people in the office, public facing web/email servers, taking lots of deliveries and stuff like that then yes, it's probably safe to say the connection is not being used for what its intended, and most likely in breach. But in my case and I think a lot of people it would certainly be arguable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

Homeworkers who work as employees for a company, are not usually classed as business users, however many large employers supply a business connection to their employees, because of the much better SLA, and the fact they can claim for loss of business if the service fails.

It a bit of a grey area, as some people run online businesses from home, but they would not actually register themselves as a company, as its just a sideline.

Anyway, at least you are aware of any possible future problems.

damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Homeworkers who work as employees for a company, are not usually classed as business users, however many large employers supply a business connection to their employees, because of the much better SLA, and the fact they can claim for loss of business if the service fails.

It a bit of a grey area, as some people run online businesses from home, but they would not actually register themselves as a company, as its just a sideline.

Anyway, at least you are aware of any possible future problems.

Sure. I totally appreciate the info.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

I don’t do G.Fast personally, I only work with the real Ultrafast, aka FTTP but a colleague of mine does.

I know G.Fast is coming to my PCP soon and was asking him about it and he confirmed they don’t supply the Standalone Modem anymore, can’t even get them from Stores.

I also know they will soon be going down the route of a Self Install G.Fast Product like they do now with VDSL.
0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

@Starwire2000wrote:
I don’t do G.Fast personally, I only work with the real Ultrafast, aka FTTP but a colleague of mine does.

I know G.Fast is coming to my PCP soon and was asking him about it and he confirmed they don’t supply the Standalone Modem anymore, can’t even get them from Stores.

I also know they will soon be going down the route of a Self Install G.Fast Product like they do now with VDSL.

Yeah I would guess that. I don't really understand why I need an engineer visit at all then? BT are sending me the SmartHub 2  on Wednesday. Although I won't be using it, if I was it's certainly something I could self install. I don't really know what the engineer is coming for?

That's sad news that they won't provide just the modem on request. However, I have managed to find a bunch of Huawei MT922's for sale on Alibaba. Ranging from $50 - $112. So I'm currently rushing to try and get one shipped out. There is also a nice looking Zyxel G.Fast standalone modem out there but I can't find anywhere to actually purchase it.

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

@Starwire2000wrote:

That being said, FTTP is what I have ultimately wanted for so long! How on earth do I get it? For the past couple of years I have been constantly pushing companies like Gigaclear and Hyperoptic to serve my area so I can get a direct piece of fibre coming straight into the house. I know my exchnage is enabled for FTTPoD but I'm aware that is a seperate thing to FTTP and can involve big install costs. However, who would I even need to talk to if I wanted to consider it? There is just no information out there and consumers can't talk directly to Openreach.

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Anyway, thank you for all the help and advise everyone.

I think what I'm going to do is see what happens on the engineer visit. Ask about the modem (if you don't ask you dont get), but if no modem to available, just let him get it working and tested using the BT supplied modem/router and then get myself a standalone G.Fast modem somehow as quickly as possible.

I'll be a in a cooling off period for 30 days after activation so if I can't source a modem to work with my equipment after 3 weeks or so I will just have to cancel and go back to Superfast. I've invested too much in my equipment to allow it be made redundant by a free BT router.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Earth.
0 Ratings