Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

G.Fast Install Specifics Question

Hello,

I have been a long time customer of BT and have been on Superfast 2 for so long now, even since it was called Infinity 2. I've been desperate for a faster service for so long. Finally, G.Fast has been made available to me at my property and I have instantly signed up.

I was wondering if anyone could answer some questions I have about the specifics of the hardware and the install process as the BT representative was unable to answer them.

As I run a business from home I have always had slightly more advanced and specific network requirements in my property than the supplied BT hardware is capable of. As such I have always used my own hardware. The only piece of equipment I use that was supplied to me by BT all those years ago, is the white BT Openreach VDSL modem which then connects to the WAN port of my own firewall/router and I configure my router with the username and password for the PPPoE login. 

As I understand it, G.Fast requires a different and faster BT Openreach modem. From searching around it seems the new one looks exactly the same but is black in colour and made by Huawei.  So when the BT rep on the phone said we'll send you out the hardware, I asked what I would be receiving. They said a "SmartHub 2". Now even though I do have the current SmartHub for the Superfast service, I do not use it. It sits in a cupboard and would only ever come out if I am having issues with the connection. It always easier to talk to BT tech support for troubleshooting if you have their equipment connected. It seems to make thier brains explode if you try to explain that you are not using their equipment.  Even though its perfectly allowed, they can't seem to understand why you would not want to use theirs. Anyway, so I'm obviously happy to have the new SmartHub 2 I said, but I did explain that I wouldn't be using it. I explained I use my own hardware, and that all I really need is the new BT Openreach modem. But she wasn't able to confirm if I would receive that. She did say that the install does require an engineer visit though so its possible they will supply this she said. But she wasn't sure. And she couldn't give me any further specifics on how the new hardware or how it all links together. I tried to simply ask, "Is the new hardware a router or a modem/router", she didn't know. I then tried to ask "Does the phone line connect direct to the SmartHub2". She didn't know.

So I'm really just hoping someone on here can help with clarifying what exactly is going to happen on this engineer visit. Will he supply me with a the new black BT Openreach modem? If not that would suggest that BT no longer supports customers using their own hardware on Ultrafast (G.Fast). Is that the case? 

The engineer visit is booked for Tuesday 19 February. And I will be in a cooling off period, so I decided to go ahead and place the order, in the hope that it can work with my setup. But if not, I can at least still go back to Superfast with my own equipment. I will be gutted though.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Damien

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: G.Fast Install Specifics Question

@damienbutt wrote:

Hello,

As I run a business from home I have always had slightly more advanced and specific network requirements in my property than the supplied BT hardware is capable of. As Thanks,

Damien

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

This is the best place to start https://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Broadband-and-internet/bd-p/Broadband

Thanks

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I am not a business user. I do run a business from my home. But in terms of my broadband connection, I am a residential consumer.

Thanks,

Damien

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

The SmartHub 2 is a modem/router that supports G.fast in addition to ADSL2/VDSL2.  You can ask the engineer if they have a spare Huawei G.fast modem but not sure how likely it is they will be carrying one.  Your other choices for a G.fast modem are limited - there is a high-end Asus DSL-AC88U G.fast modem/router and I believe Draytek will be releasing the Vigor 166 modem which supports G.fast and will allow you to use your own router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

@damienbutt wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your response. I am not a business user. I do run a business from my home. But in terms of my broadband connection, I am a residential consumer.

Thanks,

Damien

Then you are breaking the terms of your residential account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 20

Ask the engineer if he has a spare G.Fast modem. They have been known to give one on install.

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

And when I say business, I am not talking a big one. I'm just a one person company doing freelance software development. The business is just registered to my home address and I work from a desk in my home. 

However, business or no business, I not ashamed to say I am a complete tech geek by nature and even if I didn't have this business, my networking requirements would still be more than what is capable from the BT equipment.  I have over 100 network devices, utilising multiple managed switches and VLAN's, and a dedicated wireless controller to manage the access points around the property.

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@damienbuttwrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Damien

Then you are breaking the terms of your residential account.

How? I don't run public facing servers or anything like that? I don't require any public static IP's. In terms of how the connection is used. I use it like any other consumer in a home. To just access the internet, download and upload a few files. Watch Netlfix mainly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

I assume you have some form of fallback arrangement, should you lose service for a period of time?

BT Business have the new BT 4G Assure service, should you ever decide to change.

https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/bt-4g-assure-broadband-router-businesses-connected-113642...

0 Ratings
damienbutt
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

@pippincpwrote:

Ask the engineer if he has a spare G.Fast modem. They have been known to give one on install.

Thanks. I'm really hoping that will be the case.

0 Ratings