cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

G.Fast dropping connection

Yesterday I upgraded to G.Fast fibre broadband at about 3pm. All was well until it dropped its internet connection whilst streaming Netflix at about 9pm. Tonight it dropped its connection again at about the same time in the evening.

Does anybody have experience of this upgrade. Is it likely to become more reliable, because if not it might be better to use the 14 day cooling off period to revert to VDSL and the Home Hub 5.

Just before anybody suggests it, I have switched off smart set up and done a quiet line test which was absolutely fine.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: G.Fast dropping connection

Hey @northshields

Can you post hub stats?

Go to 192.168.1.254 in your browser

HH6- Click Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Enter Admin password (on the card or back of the router) > Screenshot results and post

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

albertj

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. When I looked at the detail, I noticed that the firmware had been updated. However, that happened at about 3pm whereas the internet connection was dropped at about 8.45pm. Looking at the stastics, it seems that the internet connection must have dropped again at about 8am today. I was just wondering whether this behaviour is typical whilst the upgrade "settles down". Anyway, attached are the hub stats as requested.

Technical LogTechnical Log

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 4 of 12

The router may have dropped the connection several times as the noise margin was dropped from 6dB to 3dB - hopefully it will be stable now - if not come back and re-post the hub settings.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

brookheather

Thank you for that encouraging advice. To be honest, I hope it does settle down as when it works properly I am getting a good speed and the wifi signal from the smarthub 2 is also quite strong.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Since my previous posts I have accidentally stumbled on what was causing the disconnections and I describe it here just in case it helps anybody else.

My previous set up was Superfast Fibre 2 with a Home Hub 5 and a set of BT Mini Wifi Hotspots which work as powerlines. Some devices connected to the Hotspots by ethernet cable and some by wifi. Now I have upgraded to G.Fast Fibre 100 with a smarthub 2, but otherwise everything remains the same.

What I have found is that whilst the devices connected to the Hotspots by cable are continuing to work properly, whenever I connect to a Hotspot by wifi, it causes the smarthub to drop the internet connection. I have no idea why that should happen, but it just does. Since I stopped connecting devices to the Hotspots by wifi, I haven't had a single disconnection.

One consequence of all those disconnections is that the sync rate has dropped to 108Mbps, but presumably that will now creep back up.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Repost a fresh set of hub stats.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Did you "clone" the hotspot settings from the home hub, or just left the hotspot default SSIDs?

Leaving them as default is the best option, as cloning the wireless settings can cause issues.

A factory reset of the hotspots and then re-pairing them may help.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Keith_Beddoe,

No, I hadn't cloned the hotspot settings.

For the moment I am going to leave things as they are because the wifi signal from the smarthub is certainly stronger than the home hub 5 was so that I can just about manage with that.

0 Ratings
northshields
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

I am afraid that I had got over optimistic as it has now crashed when I started streaming through the wired connection. I was just wondering whether there is a helpline number specifically concerned with the smart hub 2 who might be able to help.

0 Ratings