cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

G.Fast wait :o

I’m one of the luck ones to have had FTTC for some years now (dating back to the 40/10 days) and looking for when the next big upgrade will come. Over the years I have read much about all the various schemes piloted by various providers with all the different technologies, and was ultimately expecting the next big thing to be FTTP for me.

However, I was strolling down the road the other day and noticed my PCP had an extension added to it. Weird, I thought. I live in a well established town, where houses were built in the 30’s, so can’t imagine they’d need it for extra capacity. Anyway, after research I discovered that this was actually a G.Fast bolt on! I had read about the various areas Openreach has been trialling it, but not living in any of them didn’t get excited about it. I’ve looked at some of the other cabs around here, and they all appear to have these bolt ons now, however the neighbouring exchange does not.

So, my question is, when is this cab going live? It’s not showing on the wholesale line checker as available. Having done some reading, it appears Openreach is beavering away installing these cabinets all over, for what seems to be a mass launch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: G.Fast wait :o

Unfortunately the only people that know the answer to your question are openreach and not BT Retail our ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Might not necessarily be a G.Fast Pod. To increase capacity on PCP’s they bolt on a smaller one.

Have you got an pictures, will be able to say if it’s G.Fast or just a PCP Extension.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 20

I don’t have a picture at the moment, next time I walk past I’ll snap one. I’ve done the research, it appears to be a G.Fast pod. The only difference is it’s on the left, not the right as most pictures seem to indicate.

Furthermore, as stated in my op, all the other pcp’s ive seen on this exchange also have them now.

Thanks
0 Ratings
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

As it's been a couple of weeks since I noticed the G.Fast pod on my PCP, I thought I'd check the wholesale line checker. To my surprise, it's appeared as planned. How long before it's available to order now? Or still no idea?

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 16.12.38.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Same answer as before- only openreach know the answer to when active just need to keep checking

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 20

Once it appears on the checker it is available for order as far as Openreach are concerned.

As BT have now moved to marketing an Ultrafast connection (G.Fast) then it should be available through them or any other ISP offering it.

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

I find your estimated speeds interesting as like you my VDSL estimates are max and i get max speed but my g.fast estimate is much higher....

VDSL Range A (Clean)8066.3201958.1Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)8057.62018.240Available---- 
G.fast Range A (Clean)330298.35026.5255.2Planned---- 
G.fast Range B (Impacted)33025049.221225.4Planned----

i wonder if they are still guessing at this point

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 20

No guesswork. All estimated speeds are "Upto" anyway. G.Fast is perfectly capable of delivering those speeds to all who qualify for it and comes with a 100Mbps min guarantee.

0 Ratings
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 20

My estimates have gone up since the initial screenshot by about 10mbps. Not much, but I guess it shows they’re working behind the scenes on it. What exchange are you on?
0 Ratings