cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: G.INP - ECI Cab (DSLAM) and ECI Modem Not Capable!!

The ECI Modem B-FOCus V-2FUb/r has had an update for G.inp as well as general improvments for the DSL drivers. I have personally see one of these unlocked and appears to be working with G.INP.  <<< EDITED to Prevent confusion.

Edit..... maybe not. It's definatly updated, It says it's working, the latency could be better but it's not bad, Fortunatly the user of the line doesn't care much!! Looking at the kit's forum decided double and tripple check the latency, as they say RETX only works in 1 direction on lantiq hardware. Judging from the latency i'd say this is probably true. It's way more than a clean non interleaved line. But it's better than the old moden which is the model below.

The ECI Modem B-FOCus V-2FUb/I on the other hand, nothing yet. These where the modems intially sent out for use with ECI cabs. You probably won't have one of these on a huawei cab unless you brought it off ebay. It might well be these that are holding up the ECI G.INP roll out.

Exit also, judging from kit's forum, some people will dispise RETX anyway, even when it's working right it'll be adding some latency which people might find unacceptable. Even though it should enable speed to go up!

Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

good post TNT555 nice to see facts and not speculation
0 Ratings
burnside
Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Do you know when this update was released ?

0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

@TNT555

So when you confirm fully working with the B-FOCus V-2FUb/r - Were sync, speeds and latency unaffected?

Also was this on an ECI cab?

PS - I have heard from plenty of people that they have ECI modems with Huawei cabs??

And - was this standard firmware that was pushed out to the modem? And ECI modems are hard to unlock are they not?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

As far as I am aware it has not been rolled out to ECI cabs yet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TNT555
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 20

I'm compairing with a 2 different ECI modems. The old ECI/I was alot slower. 

the pings with the old modem where very bad,  upto 60ms to local sites. Now we are talking 20-30ms

I'd consister my last post general excitement at the line working better, It's got the update reading around kit's it's debaitable if if RETX 100% working in both directions or at all. If i had to guess i'd say maybe it's working 1 way, but it's a guess.

Might have to consider a HG612, and use DSL stats to get a full picture, but then their maybe no going back.

0 Ratings
burnside
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

@TNT555 Your are aware that there are/where 2 seperate issues with G.inp and ECI modems on huawei cabs?

From what you have reported here it would seem that this update isn't actually new, infact it was probably released late last year ahead of the G.inp roll out on Huawei cabs, the update you are making reference to was released to fix issue 1,

ECI modem - Issue 1
ECI modems with old firmware connected to a G.INP enabled DSLAM, will appear to have sync but are not able to complete the initialisation process or get a PPP session.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.msg284195.html#post_updates

0 Ratings
blue166
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

@john46

Appears the message has been edited and isn't as credible as you claimed it to be.

The ECI Modem B-FOCus V-2FUb/r has had an update for G.inp as well as general improvments for the DSL drivers. I have personally see one of these unlocked and appears to be working with G.INP.  <<< EDITED to Prevent confusion.

Edit..... maybe not. It's definatly updated, It says it's working, the latency could be better but it's not bad, Fortunatly the user of the line doesn't care much!! Looking at the kit's forum decided double and tripple check the latency, as they say RETX only works in 1 direction on lantiq hardware. Judging from the latency i'd say this is probably true. It's way more than a clean non interleaved line. But it's better than the old moden which is the model below.

The ECI Modem B-FOCus V-2FUb/I on the other hand, nothing yet. These where the modems intially sent out for use with ECI cabs. You probably won't have one of these on a huawei cab unless you brought it off ebay. It might well be these that are holding up the ECI G.INP roll out.

Exit also, judging from kit's forum, some people will dispise RETX anyway, even when it's working right it'll be adding some latency which people might find unacceptable. Even though it should enable speed to go up!

0 Ratings
majika
Beginner
Message 19 of 20

@blue166 i agree with your general frustration because, I too am in a similar situation you are facing potentially: Huawei kit cab with ECI modem (CPE) or visa-versa. TBH, i think BT (And soon to be legally separated BTO) do these kind's of infrastructure projects/ builds in such a speradic and often chaotic manner i don't think even their own internal dept's; or even the teams on the ground know what to order, when to order in kit, what kit is going where or when it's due for deployment. There is/was so much "cheap money" being pumped into the whole superfast Digital Britain and the BDUK "push" to finalise the procurement phase, move over to 21CN and the race for the build phase to begin a lot of missed opportunities occurred.. bottom line is greed. They should have done a full XG-PON build (both passive and Active) from the get-go. In the process ripped up their old Copper / Aluminium lines for each premise passed sold it for scrap, flood the world metals markets, just like the Chinese did except with cheap steel. And we wouldn't have ANY problems @blue166.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

Do you have any idea of the cost and timescales a full FTTP network would require?

Think a decade and £20bn, and you're probably not close. Remember, BT and Openreach are private businesses, who answer to their shareholders and are in business to make a profit.

Using two equipment vendors was down to the fact that when VDSL was first rolled out, it was a new technology, so one single suppler couldn't cope with Openreach's demands.

Over 90% of the UK now have superfast broadband. If full FTTP was started even 7 years ago, we might have 25%, with the rest on sub 10meg broadband.

BT actually wanted to do a full fibre network back in the 80's, however Lady Thatcher put a stop to it.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’