cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 271 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

not as far as I know if just standard just now  supposed to  be plug and play

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
spluff
Expert
Message 272 of 535

Re: G.INP affecting certain eci modems,resulting in a drop in sync rate and other issues

voila ping back down to 15ms

********* u BT! (thanks imjolly)

Now will BT fix this issue as I paid £60 for the BT HH5 to only have one device connected...

Can they send me out a HH5b to resolve? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 273 of 535

great  thumbs up smiley.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 274 of 535

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your continued patience and apologies for the delay in posting back here.

We have been speaking with Openreach about the reports on this thread with regards to issues when using modems that do not support retransmission in the upstream(Upload).  Openreach are aware of these reports and have provided some details of their investigation and are planning to start a trial soon to address these concerns. 

Background

G.INP is designed to detect and corrects errors on Openreach fibre broadband lines by resending data from the street cabinet (DSLAM) or a customer's modem (CPE).  G.INP can simultaneously operate in both Downstream(Download) and upstream(Upload) channels, however some equipment does not currently support upstream retransmission.  Any infrastructure that doesn't support retransmission in the upstream will cause the line management to add interleaving(Error Correction), increasing upstream latency(Delay) by approx. 8ms.  Openreach plan to run a small trial to investigate whether changing this process so that Interleaving is not automatically applied to upstream connections that don't require it, will resolve customer issues. 

Normal DLM(Dynamic Line Management) function will not be affected by this change so if your connection needs interleaving to stabilise the performance then DLM will continue to do this.  We will update you when we learn more.

I appreciate that some customers using a BT Home Hub 5a have also had some problems, we are running a separate investigation to see whether that is or isn't a compatibility issue with G.inp.   Again we will update this thread when we know more.

Cheers

Sean

PS,

I appreciate there is quite a bit of technical jargon in my post that some users may not fully understand.  Below is an explanation for some of the key terms that could be confusing,

Downstream and upstream channels – Broadband operates on two channels.  Downstream refers to your download channel so anytime you are surfing the web, streaming videos, browsing website this is carried out on the downstream channel.  The upstream channel is upload so this refers to the ability to add files from your PC to the web, so adding photo's to Facebook or adding videos to YouTube is carried out by the upstream channel.

Interleaving – This refers to error-correction which is a tool that can be used to stabilise connections.

Latency refers to delay. Latency is how long it takes data to travel between its source and destination, measured in milliseconds(ms).

DLM – or dynamic line management will automatically manage the performance of your broadband connection.

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
spluff
Expert
Message 275 of 535

Cheers SeanD for post...

Hope you manage to fix the HH5a issue, if not I hope BT will swap the HH5a for HH5b for people who are concerned about ping performance...
0 Ratings
Locky
Expert
Message 276 of 535

That does not explain why G.INP and ECI chop about 15mb off max sync lines and only exlains the ping increase.

0 Ratings
ewanb75
Contributor
Message 277 of 535

I've had my modem and hub4 replaced with a hub5 (b) and still suffer from a lot of lag I never had before (6 weeks and counting).  Its not as bad as it was but still **bleep** annoying when playing online.

My up and down speeds are still the same, about 76 down and 18 up, and I've only noticed small fluctuations in these speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 278 of 535

@ locky it sounds more like DLM action than anything to do with G.inp in your case
0 Ratings
Locky
Expert
Message 279 of 535

Sounds like you're very wrong as when I connect an HG612  my line is back to normal..

Have a read around and you will see people losing about 15mb (from max sync) after G.inp is enabled on and an ECI modem is in use.

The misinformation on this thread is lolworthy but I expected nothing less here tbh.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 280 of 535

i agree about misinformation there was far to much speculation from the beginning as G.inp was being blamed for nearly every problem posted information from Openreach is only recently becoming available as Sean D has posted the information the mod team has received
0 Ratings