cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

G.fast Broadband Speed

I have G.fast and a Smart Hub 2. Until recently the connection speed, although variable, was always in the range of 125 - 135 Mbps. On 15th October the Smart Hub firmware was updated to version 0.21.03.07094-BT .

Since then the connection speed has been at or about 105Mbps even though nothing has changed in terms of wiring or connected devices. Is this likely to be coincidence or does the updated software limit the connection speed to a figure just above the stayfast guarantee (in my case 100 Mbps)?

I should say that the speed drop doesn't really matter as the speed I am getting is plenty high enough for my purposes, but I would be interested in the explanation.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: G.fast Broadband Speed

If the speed appeared to reduce after firmware change have you tried a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back for 20/30secs until lights flash and make sure firmware updated correctly

remember to turn of smart setup after reset

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

I haven't done a factory reset because the Hub is behaving perfectly in every other respect and, as I said, the speed drop doesn't really matter. It was just a case of wondering if it was due to something deliberate in the firmware update or whether I was being far too cynical.

If only BT issued relese notes with the updates so that we could all see what was being fixed or improved!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

By way of an update, I have just noticed that when I log into "MyBT", my current package is now described as having a speed of 91Mbps - 101Mbps, which, with a stayfast guarantee of 100Mbps is cutting it pretty fine. Until recently my "current package" was described as having a top speed of 135Mbps. This suggests to me that the reduction in speed is due to some deliberate act by BT.

If BT are adopting that procedure, I really think that we ought to be told.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Gfast, like ADSL/VDSL is a rate adaptive service, so your connection rate is dependent on the individual line ,shorter lines sync faster than longer ones, too long a line won’t be offered Gfast.

In the same way FTTC is available in bands , 40/55/80Mb flavours , Gfast is 160/30 and 330/50, and your line will sync as close to the product you purchased...if a particular line had an Gfast estimate of 120Mb or less then the product wouldn’t be offered, presumably you are on the 160Mb product and you state you were getting 130Mb, not massively over the lowest limits it’s even offered at.

If your speed has deteriorated, then you may have a fault, or as more people join, perhaps that causes a ‘crosstalk’ type reduction in speed , obviously if your line falls below the minimum  speed guarantee then after a period of trying to get your speed back then you can leave penalty free....

Its not the case that there is any policy to deliberately reduce your speed, ( why would you think that is desirable from the ISP point of view ? ) it is possible though that if the reduction coincided with a new router firmware download, it’s possible that has inadvertently negatively affected the service, but if that were the case no doubt there will be a fix coming along 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

iniltous

Thank you for your interesting reply. In my particular case I suspect that it was a software update as on 15th October the connection was 134Mbps, then on that date there was a software update and the Smarthub immediately connected at 107Mbps.

If I am right that it was the software update, I am not sure that I share your confidence that a fix will come any time soon. I did wonder whether it might be deliberate to preserve bandwidth with so many more people working from home.

Either way, I just wish that BT would come clean and say what is happening rather than just maintain a rather undignified silence.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The software update would have caused a reboot of the hub and thus a resync. It is possible that increasing levels of crosstalk had previously caused the snr margin to drop below the target figure but not sufficiently to cause a resync. When the resync then occurred, the hub resynced at a speed commensurate with the target SNRM

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

licquorice

What you say is, of course right. However, by chance, just four days before the software update, the Smarthub had disconnected from the internet and re-connected, again at 134Mbps, so, at the very least, the significant drop in speed immediately after the update is quite a coincidence.

Currently the Hub is reporting a Noise margin of 3.2/3.0 which, I suspect, is not particularly unusual.

I still wish that BT would come out and clearly say, if it is the case, that there is nothing in the software which could cause the drop in speed, because unless they do I won't be able to help wondering.

0 Ratings