cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NAROBS
Contributor
Message 91 of 101

Re: G.fast Connection

This leads me to suspect that there might be some pressure on FTTC in  areas with existing  well-developed broadband . . . another chance to increase revenue on already paid for infrastructure. If you're a trencherman BT marketing man, saliva will be unlimited:-

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/rise-in-impact-from-full-to-capacity-uk-fttc-broadband...

And, this can't make things any better . . . 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/08/isp-vodafone-uk-launch-second-home-broadband-line-serv...

. . . and guess who's going to get preference . . . thems that by customer selection have jumped on-board and become part of a new marketing campaign or the "Innocent"  bystanders existing customers.

My two events haven't re-occurred . . . yet so who knows what the cause was . . . .BT engineers line connection swapping, roadside cabinet busters and illegal connectors (Common in my area), hackers, the heat  . . . 

Its the new "Normal".

And, going completely off-topic,  this has got to make you laugh:-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/07/22/mps-launch-inquiry-500m-oneweb-satellite-gamble/

Ol' beardy trying to tap the taxpayer (MOD) for  a £500 m sub for One Web - surely extending  ground-based fibre completely to the 7.5% "Difficult-to-reach" premises won't cost this much ?????? But he 's very kindly just set Openreach's budget to do the job. If the worst comes to the worst, his version of  "Love Island" will be saved - and commercial customers, including BT, will be paying for it and subbing Virgin Galatic (Once the supply of millionaires desirous of an orbital adventure has been exhausted).

N

N.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 92 of 101

@bulldog147 Sorry to tag you, just wanted to tell you it was true about our local newspaper. In November  2020 2 OR engineers turned up in front of our house with papers and were doing something in the BT chamber. So I was right outside asking if they were planning for fttp and they said yes. In January it went live and I got my connection installed about 1.5 week ago. 900Mbps package from BT. Absolutely  brilliant speed! So that's me for the next couple of years! 😎

1.jpg

0 Ratings
bulldog147
Contributor
Message 93 of 101

I thought FTTP isn't roll out if g fast are available in the area. More likely will be the bottom list of FTTP roll out?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 94 of 101

@bulldog147wrote:

I thought FTTP isn't roll out if g fast are available in the area. More likely will be the bottom list of FTTP roll out?

You thought wrong. G.Fast only covers a 350mtr radius of the cab.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 95 of 101

They're still building new houses on our estate and all of them are getting fttp installed. The engineers said back in November they wanted to cover the whole our area very quickly and move on to other parts of the town. Since then I see Openreach working everywhere in the town.

0 Ratings
bulldog147
Contributor
Message 96 of 101

Well I get no chance of FTTP then. Cos my g fast is approx within 250m away. Look like no FTTP for next 5-10 years

0 Ratings
bulldog147
Contributor
Message 97 of 101

That's good. But question is do you really need that speed? For me I think everyone's don't need 800meg these days with netflix
0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 98 of 101

Ohh definitely!  We have 2 xboxes in the house and all those 60-80GB updates and games are downloading like magic. Within minutes I'm able to play that I download from game pass. Also the upload is amazing. I have so much to upload for work as well as family and it's a huge advantage to have 110Mbps upload.

0 Ratings
bulldog147
Contributor
Message 99 of 101

@matekaneveI got my G.fast installed with 160/30 as the Openreach test kit say my line can do 210/29. Not bad at all for over 250m from the cabinet. Just waiting for FTTP (probably next five to six years time!)

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 100 of 101

That sounds good! Enjoy the speed!!! 🔥😀