cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 73

G.fast Connection

Hey everyone! Here I am again, however this time I'm not having any issues! 😛 🤣 I just checked the dsl checker and I was surprised to see G.fast is now available for me. Checked the BT website and it's coming up to order. I attached the dsl checker image below to see the connection speed I suppose to receive. As much as I'd love to have those download speed, I'm a bit concerned about the upload speed. It says 9.5Mbps-24.5Mbps. On FTTC I receive a constant 18-19Mbps Upload speed. I'm just wondering if I would get the same on G.fast too? Also at the moment I'm paying £48.49 for my package (it also includes the unlimited International calls plan) and I'm on the PLUS package. However if I ordered the G.fast service I wouldn't need the PLUS package (as it's £65) just the normal Ultrafast deal. Is it possible to drop the PLUS and recontract for the Ultrafast? Is there a phone number I could speak to someone about this? Thanks for the answers in advance!gfast.jpg

0 Ratings
72 REPLIES 72
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 73

Re: G.fast Connection

ring the Ultrafast team on 0800 587 4787.

matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 73

Thank you! I'll do that!

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 73

I called them today and talked to a guy. He basically just checked my account and gave me the same offer that I can already see on MyBT. £65 a month on a 18 month contract. It's quite sad new customers are getting the Ultrafast service for £40 and existing customers have to pay more. He said as I was in the middle of my contract that's why he cannot give me a better offer and I should check about 3 month before my contract is up and then I might be able to get a better deal. I probably got too excited about G.fast and those higher numbers but seems like I need to wait as £65 for broadband is quite ridiculous.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 73

Today I managed to get the Ultrafast upgrade sorted. £49.99 for the Ultrafast Fibre Plus and the hub2 will be delivered on 8th November with the connection going live on 12th November. I'm not looking forward to put the smarthub2 in place after reading horror stories about it especially when my smarthub1 has been very reliable over the past nearly 4 years. My question though is when I have the hub2 and the disc in pair, whichever is closer to me, I will be connected to? So if the disc is upstairs I will be connected to it as it gives me a better signal? And if I go downstairs I will be connected to the hub directly? And this changeover should happen without any drops? Does it make sense? 🤔😄 The smarthub 1 actually gives me a pretty good coverage in the whole house even in the furthest room I only lose 1 bar and it doesn't effect the download speed at all so I will see if I need the disc at all. However I just would like to know the answer to my question. 🙂 Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 73

you should connect to whichever gives strongest signal    the SH2 wifi coverage is just as good as the SH1 so with the additional disc your coverage should be even better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
bulldog147
Contributor
Message 7 of 73

I think you will be very disappointed with G.fast because it won't be much speed improved than FTTC. Beware u might get around 135-169Mbps (FTTC 65-80Mbps) and upload are disappointed too as you would get around 9-24Mbps (FTTC 19-20Mbps)

Good luck on your installation August 12th and get back to us of what was the Observed Speeds are like under G.Fast as I can see your FTTC are 77/20, so, hopefully you get 160/24 but I will be surprise if it went below 120/20.

As for my line, my FTTC was 80/20 but G.fast estimated was 151-198 for downstream and 12-29 for upstream but I am not bothered to order G.fast because of ridiculous overpriced for 160/30 product. Going to stay with FTTC for another year until FTTP come along.

matekaneve
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 73

Thank you everyone for your input. I actually am quite hyped about this just now as I really could benefit of the more download speed, (my boys are using more and more bandwidth.... :D) however I'm a bit worried about the upload speed and hoping it doesn't drop. At the moment I'm having 18-19Mbps so hopefully it will stay around there.

I have another question though. When the smarthub2 arrives, can I just start using it right away with my current connection too? Just to make sure it is all set up, settled and working by the time the OR engineer comes on the 12th to kick the new connection in.

0 Ratings
albertj
Expert
Message 9 of 73

You can use the Smart Hub 2 with FTTC as well, so yes.

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
pompey1898
Expert
Message 10 of 73

@bulldog147wrote:

I think you will be very disappointed with G.fast because it won't be much speed improved than FTTC. Beware u might get around 135-169Mbps (FTTC 65-80Mbps) and upload are disappointed too as you would get around 9-24Mbps (FTTC 19-20Mbps)

I'm confused.  That looks like double to me.