cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

G.fast Speed Drop

I have G.fast, and for many weeks I have been consistently getting a speed of 130-140Mbps, which is about the most it could be in my location. Over the last week or so the speed has dropped to about 100Mbps although my configuration has not changed and nor have any devices been added. I have done a re-start of the Smarthub but that has made no difference. I test the speed on a PC connected to the Smarthub by ethernet cable.

The only thing I have noticed (although I imagine that it is totally irrelevant) is that when I was getting the higher speeds the broadband availability checker indicated that the availability of VDSL was "waiting list", but during the period that the speed has dropped that has changed to "available".

Could the change in status of VDSL availability affect my speed? Any help will be gratefully received.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: G.fast Speed Drop

G.fast do often drop in speed in around Spring & Summer. Winter are the best speed in G.fast. Nothing u can do about it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: G.fast Speed Drop

bulldog147

Thank you for your reply. That is certainly an interesting observation although I am not sure about the science behind it.

Be that as it may, my speed has now dropped below the guarantee so I need to take it further. In fact when I look on the BT web site under "MyBT" the message describes my current position as a speed of 98Mbps with a guarantee of 100Mbps as shown in this screen shot

Broadband Speed.jpg

I can't help feeling that if "the system" knows that the guarantee is not being met it should be possible for that to be flagged up so that BT can be proactive rather than rely on the customer

a. noticing the drop in speed, and

b. complaining about it.

0 Ratings