cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

G.fast, will BT ever increase max speed cap of 330Mbps

I have had g.fast for nearly 2 years, rock solid and never drops, line stats are all good, my profile is 49.08 Mbps / 329.327 Mbps which is the maximum I believe BT will go on g.fast

My line according to the BT Smart Hub stats could handle a maximum data rate of 72 Mbps / 620 Mbps, this figure remains fairly consistent, sometimes it may drop to 610ish but never goes below. I am approx 50 metres from my g.fast pod.

g.fast at short distances over good quality cables is capable of 1 Gbit/s but i concede that's under perfect conditions but it seems strange BT cap the limit at 330 as opposed to just letting rate adaptation do its thing.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: G.fast, will BT ever increase max speed cap of 330Mbps

@wenklawwrote:

I have had g.fast for nearly 2 years, rock solid and never drops, line stats are all good, my profile is 49.08 Mbps / 329.327 Mbps which is the maximum I believe BT will go on g.fast

My line according to the BT Smart Hub stats could handle a maximum data rate of 72 Mbps / 620 Mbps, this figure remains fairly consistent, sometimes it may drop to 610ish but never goes below. I am approx 50 metres from my g.fast pod.

g.fast at short distances over good quality cables is capable of 1 Gbit/s but i concede that's under perfect conditions but it seems strange BT cap the limit at 330 as opposed to just letting rate adaptation do its thing.

the "rate cap" is based on the product you have purchased.

What does this checker give you as the maximum speed you can get?  Remember to remove your landline number/address before posting the results back. (You may need to take a screenshot)

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Maybe you misunderstood my question. Yes 2 different products for g.fast did exist I agree one was upto 145Mbps i recall and the other upto 330Mbps but that isnt my question.  My product is 330 and I get full speed however my line would support greater speeds BUT BT have set a rate/speed cap for g.fast to 330Mbps regardless of if your line will support higher speeds, I was just wondering if BT will ever increase the g.fast cap baring in mind they are now offering 1Gbit FTTP in certain areas

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Due to the very low numbers of potential customers being close enough to the G.Fast pod it doesn't make commercial sense to introduce a higher tier.

You are one of very few who would benefit.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@wenklaw I believe the cap is in place due to BT retails product range and also to ensure QOS for all customers. You're right about the gigabit speeds though because my mate works for BT wholesale and he's had all his limits lifted as he monitors and does remote fixes on the core network from home and he's sitting on a gig through G-Fast... 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Anyone who is at the 100 metre mark from the pod and/or currently has sync at 330 would see improvements.  FTTC and WBC products also suffer over longer distances from the street cab but the max profile for those products was pretty much at the stable max, meaning your line would adapt to the fastest stable speed it could.  

Introducing a higher speed profile to g.fast surely wouldn't be a vastly expensive task to deploy.  Some people select provider based on speed alone, so if Virgin can offer someone 516Mbps in my area BT are going to miss out.

As someone else stated QoS could be another reason for 330.

I am more than happy with my speed of over 300Mbps, in fact when i had FTTC, 80 meg was just fine.  Just thinking aloud really.

0 Ratings