cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

GFast installation question - WBC FTTC Availability Date listed as Green

At present I have Fibre 2 (FTTC). GFast is available in my area and at my local PCP cabinet. I check the BT Broadband Availability Checker regularly and notice that the column called 'WBC FTTC Availability Date' has recently changed from Amber to Green.

I found from the BT Community that 'Amber' meant that GFast was available but that an engineer visit was needed.

Does anyone know what 'Green' means? 

I am hoping that it means that a self-install options available because I really do not want to have to deal with booking an engineer visit - very inconvenient due to my working patterns.

Thanks for any help. Screenshot attached.Cabinet Checker.jpeg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: GFast installation question - WBC FTTC Availability Date listed as Green

An engineer visit is necessary because they have to change some jumpers in the cab and may have to your change your faceplate. They'll also check to make sure everything that s working correctly before closing the job. When I upgraded the chap called to say he was on his way and that he was going to the cab 1st. He then popped up at my house with his little computer gadget, ran some diagnostic tests and was on his way... 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks. That is helpful.

I really would like to know that the difference (in this context) on the Cabinet Checker is between Amber & Green statuses.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@Forumcloud I'm not sure about the colour coding but I'd imagine someone will be along shortly that does

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@Forumcloud 

How did it go with your G.fast installation? 189/26 look like it will be Fibre 100

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

No order as yet.

I am still hoping to find out exactly the difference between Amber and Green in the availability column.

I understand that an engineer visit to the CABINET is necessary but I want to know - for GREEN availability - if a HOME engineer visit is needed. Hone visits are a problem for me.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

All G.fast installation need an engineer visit to your home as it need to test the line for G.fast to pass or fail because your estimate line speed are very low as Openreach engineer need to ensure it pass the fibre guarantee speed at least 100Mbps or above. It's also replaced the master socket marked as G.fast.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

But still .... what is she difference between AMBER availability and GREEN availability. It has changed from amber to green recently and that must mean something.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

The colours have nothing to do with if an engineer is needed or not. If you want to know what they mean you'll have to ask the Openreach engineer and he will tell you.

For ADSL lines it meant:-

2020-10-10 11_42_04-__. Kitz - BT RAG test .__.png

I should imagine it means somewhat the same for G.Fast. As previously stated G.Fast is an engineer install only at present.

0 Ratings