cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Gaming broadband query

Hello and good morning,

This is my first post. Tried looking everywhere for more info on this and could not find much apart from in their own BT website. It talks about unbeatable latency etc., Did anyone managed to get this connection installed. I want to know if there is any real world benefit over the current full fibre BT broadband. In relation to reduced latency, hops and traceroute etc. Pricing wise is it same as full fibre from what I can see. Thanks and appreciate for response. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Gaming broadband query

Full fibre (FTTP) will give you the lowest latency of any broadband connection. As regards routing (hops) there is no difference, your connection still has to traverse the same route to the destination, it's just quicker.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Is the "gaming broadband" a different product? I would just assume it's the same as FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

I was under the impression that calling it as a "gaming broadband" would have itself advantage with better routing to servers and lower latency compared to the normal full fibre FTTP. Or is it both the same?? With my current FTTP BT 500 the lowest ping I could attain while doing a speed test was 17ms. Is this normal?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@armstrongmans I’d be surprised if it’s a different product to FTTP.

Your ping will depend on a whole host of things, how many hops in your internal equipment, whether you are using wired or wireless to run the test, where your nearest BT server is and where it routes through and where the test server is.

I have FTTP and when I run speedtest.net on wired, it’s not normally more than 5-8 ms ping and one wireless to the same test server, around 9-12 ms.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I recently upgraded to FTTP and my ping was always around 20-21ms for bbc (located north of Scotland) and now its 16ms, so there was an improvement 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

17ms when I ping to bbc.co.uk and I am located in north east of Scotland so I don't think I will get anywhere close to single digits or should I? Previously on VDSL fastpath I used to get 22ms.

When doing a trace route to 1.1.1.1 I get 8 hops and the 3rd hop always times out. Not sure if this is normal or something which can be fixed.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

I'm on FTTP 900 and based in Bristol. I can't see the speed of package making a difference. But I get single digit pings for bbc.co.uk

So I think you're back to the routing of the equipment from you, BT backend etc.

You could give BT a call, but I suspect the 'gaming broadband' is the same product as FTTP.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 11.38.05.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Depends on nearest speedtest server.

For me it connects to a server in Stone (near Stoke on Trent) which is about ~40 miles away from me.

I get 4-6ms ping on speedtest.net

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

I am based in Aberdeen, when I select the nearest server even 2 miles from my location the ping is between 22ms to 25ms  which is quite high because I think it routes it to London and back to Aberdeen nearest server. When I do the London server speedtest.net I get 17ms. Is this normal or my traffic is getting routed differently? Any solutions.

0 Ratings