cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Gaming packet loss spikes when someone else is streaming on any service

Hey!

So I'm having issues playing games on my wired PC whenever someone else is streaming Netflix/Prime etc downstairs. As we have BT TV the box is directly wired to the hub as well as my PC. This began to come about in August when playing Warzone I would notice a bit of elasticity when playing. I put this down to 4 people being in the house and everyone using it at the same time. It wasn't until last week when I noticed that there was only me and 1 other person in the house that the packet loss continued but it only ever happens when a streaming service is being used. 

After looking through numerous forums on here and Reddit I have gone through a few checks being turning it off/on again (classic) and it temporarily fixes the issue but within an hour it is back to the way it was. I've tried resetting the internet and removing background devices from the internet which made no difference. The only cause for concern is when calling 017070 (think that is correct) there was a faint rustling in the background which leads me to believe there is a line fault which would explain the packet loss. Last year an Openreach engineer came out to fix another fault that we had but when I've ran BT checks on my area all is fine and I contacted BT myself yesterday for them to reply with no issues with the line.

The reason I am writing this is because I don't want to really pay for an engineer as the last person to do anything with the internet was an engineer and I feel getting charged for that would be extremely unfair. Also I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on here as this was also a suggestion for troubleshooting. 

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

🙂

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Gaming packet loss spikes when someone else is streaming on any service

Sounds like a bandwidth issue fella. Streaming likes to eat up bandwidth and if your route is just the hub, it may not divi out the bandwidth appropriately . Could try an after market router and set bandwidths for devices., particularly look for  routers with Qos as well as you can priorptise your gaming. Ive been using Asus AC-RT88U but, some of the netgear routers with dumo are decent. It definitely helps but, if you dont have a good broadband package perhaps upgrade.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

The quiet line test should be silent between announcements with a corded phone. With cordless there may be a dull background hum., anything else is a problem.

You will not be charged for an engineer to rectify a noisy line.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hey! I've looked into this but I think I'm thinking ti could be a fault in my wired connection? This is definitely the alternative though thank you!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Wonderful news, thank you!
0 Ratings