cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Getting FTTP

Hey all,

I was a long term customer of BT from Sep 2012 to Feb 2017, and then moved to Plusnet as they were offering much cheaper prices for the same speeds.

Now however, it appears that FTTP is available in my area and the order has been placed (£60 setup fee, £59.99 a month, yikes) however I'm very excited.

I put my details into the DSLChecker and it says that this will be a Stage 2 installation, however checking a few days ago it did say Stage 1. Does anyone have any experience with that changing?

My installation date to my address (BT47 3WW) is on 4th December 2018. Is there a way I can find out when exactly the First Stage Engineer will be visiting to run the lines?

How does it all work? As I'm paying for the highest tier, I heard on the phone that the Engineer on Install Day will install Ethernet in up to 3 rooms for me. Is this true, is it hard to do? etc etc. 

Just some information on the general FTTP Installation (Which says Stage 2 on the Checker) would be appreciated.

There's mixed details online.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Getting FTTP

Both Legacy Fibre, aka Blown Fibre and CBT, Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre both come as a 2 Stage Installation. It’s used to be only Legacy Fibre was a 2 Stage but because of the constant problems with CBT they’ve made it a 2 Stage Process.

Stage 1 for Legacy and CBT are different though. Is the line to your house fed by an underground or overhead cable?

For Legacy Stage 1 will be Infrastructure Delivery Engineers getting Fibre Tubing to your house, be it under or overground then blow Fibre in from the Splitter or DP to a Splice Point on your house.

For CBT Fibre if it’s Underground then an Engineer will visit a day or two before the Installation to Rod and Rope a Connectorised Fibre Cable from the CBT to the Duct Mouth outside your house. If it’s overhead then the Engineer will do what we call a Line of Sight Check. All that is is to make sure there’s nothing obstructing the cable run and to ensure the Pole(s) it’s going on are safe and in test date. The Stage 1 Engineer won’t put the Fibre Cable in on a Line of Sight Check.
Message 3 of 8

Re: Getting FTTP

Hey,

Sorry for the delay.
The cables are being run under as far as I'm aware.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

FTTP Installed two weeks early - can I get it activated early?

The Openreach guys went ahead and installed the cabling into my road this week, and I went out to them to say hello and they offered to install the ONT Unit inside my house and that's all been done and the cables are all running and the lights are on in the ONT (Except for the Activation light, that's still blinking).

My scheduled activation is 4th Dec but I was wondering if there's a way to just do it now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Re: FTTP Installed two weeks early - can I get it activated early?

There would be other infrastructure to complete, and it also depends on how much work the ISP has to do as well. I would consider that the date you have been given, is very realistic, so I would just wait.

I have merged this with your original unsolved thread.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks Keith - I did ask the engineers and they said they'd potentially be able to give me a ring this week and get it activated so not sure who's word to go by.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Personally, I would just leave it, as there will be others in the same situation. Two weeks from installation to activation, would seem reasonable.

It can take that long for most broadband provisions, as there are a lot of back-end systems like billing, plus a few others, that need to be in place before the connection is brought into service.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

All the Profile Build is done by BT, BT Wholesale and Openreach. It’s done in stages automatically up to a day or two before the installation date.

On the day of the Install the Engineer scans the ONT Serial Number and Registers it. It then assigns it to your OGEA Profile and should come into Sync within a minute.