cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Getting Infinity did not solve existing intermittent connection issues.

We've always had connection issues with our line over the BT line, regardless of which provider we went with. We were previously with Talk Talk and they gave us no help at all on this issue, so we were keen to move.

We thought we'd try fiber, hoping to resolve these. However, though the download and upload speed are now really great - the underlying issue still remains.

It's making me think the issue is between our local box and the house, or even in the house. The BT Openreach wall-box has been missing the cover since we moved in a few years ago. I suspect it's perminantly plugged into the test socket? I'm not sure.

The issue is a very tempromental line. Like I said, download speed is top notch now - but there's an intermittent dropout/timeout issue. Some days it doesnt happen at all, some days it makes the internet almost unusable.

Here's some ping traces. The red are where the ping timed out. This is pretty typical:

worse.png

Here's showing how intermittent it is. All evening it was working fine (grey is when I had the computer off), then there's just periods where it's dropping every second or two, for significant times:

intermittent.png

Occasionally it drops out completely for significant periods, with very high ping-spikes:

failure2.png

Where does the fiber vs copper infrastructure end? How close to the house? Does the fact that this happened over both copper and fiber help narrow down where the issue is/what the cause is?

Cheers

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Getting Infinity did not solve existing intermittent connection issues.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

The copper used for your Infinity connection terminates at the local cabinet.

It's more likely to be an internal/setup/computer issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Good point. I've got a wireless USB dongle, and will try ethernet too (and maybe a whole different computer).

I definately tried all those with the old talk talk connection, but there seemed to be other issues, which might have been fixed, and this underlying issue could be the specific wifi on this laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Would certainly sound more likely.

Unless, there's a general wireless issue in that something in the hole or local area is interfering with the wireless frequencies.

Using an Ethernet cable is the only real way to test against it being something Wifi related.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Tried a wifi-dongle, and it was initially looking good and then:

wifiDongle.png

I can pretty securely rule out a fault in the router, as we get one every year with each provider and the issue remains.

Could still be an issue with wifi interference or something, so I'll test it over ethernet.

0 Ratings