Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NicholasM
Beginner
Message 1 of 44

Getting a connection

I live in a Welsh village that is fully connected to fibre optic broadband but for some obscure technical reason my house (which is actually closer to the green box than many of my neighbours who are getting faster broadband) is said not to be able to have it. Clearly this is a technical issue that BT/Open Reach should be able to resolve pretty easily but how do I persuade them to sort it out? Which button do I press?

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 44

Re: Getting a connection

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number

this will show what is available to you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NicholasM
Beginner
Message 3 of 44

I have been through the process of applying for the connection and at first I get the good news reply that it is available. But when BT staff try to process the order for me they hit a brick wall. What I want to find out is how you put pressure on BT's technical people to sort out the technical obstacle which they admit is there.

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 4 of 44

Hi @NicholasM i think @imjolly link didn’t work for some reason, can you put your phone number into this link https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and post the results, removing your phone number before doing so. 

0 Ratings
NicholasM
Beginner
Message 5 of 44

Sorry I don't know what this is or who imjolly is which is why I didn't hand out my phone number. I asked a specific question about how one puts pressure on BT to make a line available and there seems to be no answer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 44

this is a community forum where customers help customers.  if you want help then you need to post some information  all you need to do is enter your phone number and then post the information you can see but delete phone number before posting  this will show what is available to you for broadband  you can see numerous other posts where the person has posted this exact information  you should leave the exchange and cab information

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NicholasM
Beginner
Message 7 of 44

Ok, thanks for your help, but I have already done this checker, as have BT sales staff on several occasions. The number is clearly one that connects to faster broadband as BT have repeatedly confirmed when the test is done. It is what happens AFTER this that is the problem when, to their surprise and mine, at the last minute it suddenly decides it isn't available after all. I want to take this forward and that surely means local engineers investigating the problem. I want to know how to get them to do that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 44

I don't know why you are so reluctant to post the information but by doing so the forum member may be able to help you progress your problem and failing that the forum mods who are BT employees may be able to help - but need information first

0 Ratings
NicholasM
Beginner
Message 9 of 44

Sorry I am new to this and one does have to be careful online so forgive my caution. Nothing personal! I have done the check as you suggest and it confirms a rate of up to 2MB which is right and gives no indication that faster broadband is available at my address when everyone else in this tiny village gets it. That is my problem in a nutshell.

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 10 of 44

If you know a neighbours phone number who has fibre try putting their number in the checker and seeing if you are both connected to the same street cabinet number. As you might be in a different street cabinet than everyone else, just because there is a cabinet down the road doesn’t mean that your line is in there. It’s not uncommon for next door neighbours to be in different cabinets. You could be in a cabinet that hasn’t been enabled yet for fibre. 

0 Ratings