cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamdavi3s
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Getting an accurate estimate?

I only have an address to search on as it’s a house we’re hoping to purchase and the house doesn’t have an active phone line- or so we are told.

If I search the openreach database it states we can get 60mb ish and that is what all the suppliers are saying as well.

However if I search at the next house down the road it states 11ish, which is much more reasonable as the house is in the middle of nowhere. Unless someone has already installed FFTPoD of course.

How can we get an accurate estimate? Chatting with various suppliers has been useless.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Getting an accurate estimate?

until you can get an active phone line entering your address is best estimated range you are going to get  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Adamdavi3s
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thank you. That is the database I’ve used.

I guess I am just surprised at how far out it is in terms of the estimate
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

it could simply be you are on a different cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Adamdavi3s
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

We’ve just been and traced the overland cable the 1.6miles back to a cabinet so thinking the 80 mb must be an error!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

until you actually get a phone line you can't get an accurate range of connection speed

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Adamdavi3s,

Here is a guide :-

Table of FTTC speed against distance from the street cabinet
Distance from the street cabinet (km)FTTC fibre broadband connection speed (Mbps)
0 Ratings
Adamdavi3s
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

@pompey1898

Thank you, that ties up with my expectations

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Rural areas always a bit of a pain to estimate.

Usually the Estimated Speeds are based on the distance from the PCP to the DP + 60m.

The majority of people are within 60m of the DP their line comes from but in rural areas it could be 2, 3, 4, 5+ km away, which isn’t taken into account when providing an Estimate.

Until you physically have a working connection it’ll be difficult to get an Estimate because it’s difficult to guess which route the cable takes as it doesn’t always take the logical short one.
0 Ratings