cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 24

Getting slower and slower

When I first came to BT infinity from a large Cable company the speeds I got from the installation date with the engineer was 76.4Mbps, and the Engineer said that the line was capable of 80Mbps, 76Mbps was fine for me, even though I had 100Mbps with  the cable company, but ever since the rebirth of BT in my life the speed have dropped, at the moment I am getting 68Mbps, which you will all say that not much of a drop but 8 Mbps drop on an ADSL line thats huge.

If some one could please look into this for me thanks.

IP Profile:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 67.52 Mbps

0 Mbps80.96 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 67.52 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-80.96 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 80.96 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 13.7 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.7Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Getting slower and slower

Infinity is VDSL and not ADSL, are you doing the speedtest from a wireless connection or a wired one?

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 24

All wired, don't do wirless, too much latency.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 24

@bartman1967 wrote:

All wired, don't do wirless, too much latency.

Does you download IP profile change when you restart the HomeHub? (Don't restart the modem)

Your download is not too bad as it's only 6mb off the top speed (Which is 74mb)

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 24

It does, but its all working OK, apart form the speed.  I use the ASUS RT-N56U not the HH3, which I have used from Day one without any problems, all drivers and firmware are upto date on Router and PC, like I said its all OK apart from slowing down.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
zagnome
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

The speed is pretty acceptable. You should run several tests at BT speedtester, speedtest.net and speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 24

I have done and its been like this for a few weeks. If well all bowed down and accepted all that was given maybe a lot more companies will start offering a lot less for the same price, Walkers are also doing it maybe BT should as well, maybe your connection should be 5Mbps and then that will be acceptable.

I started with a great connection and its deteriated, am I not allowed to ask for it back, I should be quiet, and pay the same each month, would you??? If you do then you are more of a fool than the people running this country!.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 24

@bartman1967 wrote:

I have done and its been like this for a few weeks. If well all bowed down and accepted all that was given maybe a lot more companies will start offering a lot less for the same price, Walkers are also doing it maybe BT should as well, maybe your connection should be 5Mbps and then that will be acceptable.

I started with a great connection and its deteriated, am I not allowed to ask for it back, I should be quiet, and pay the same each month, would you??? If you do then you are more of a fool than the people running this country!.

Infinity is an upto product and not a fixed speed. Lots of things can happen to drop your speed. i.e. more people in your area can sign up to Infinity, which means your speed will drop because there is more crosstalk on the lines and your speed drops.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 9 of 24

Many people are paying the same for a 20Mbps service; quite a lot of them knew at the start that is the speed they would get, and still considered it worth it.  You started with a really great connection; it has suffered a small deterioration (around 10%), but you still have a great one.  Yes, you are allowed to ask for the original back; you may get it if you are lucky but you can't treat it as a right to have it, or a reason for more than a very slight grumble if you don't get it.

Unfortunately, BT considers anything above 12Mbps as acceptable; though they don't advertise this fact very clearly when selling Infinity.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 24

Well I am not paying for a 20Mbps service, I can to Inf2 because I was told I could have near enough if not the 80Mbps, and at the moment I am having terrible latancy and lag, my pings have shot up to over what is really acceptable for when it was installed, if a service is ment to get worse the longer you have it then there is a problem, I don't really care what others are getting, all I want is what I had was promised, so please, I don't need irrelevent posts about what is about and who is getting what, maybe if I post some more I will become like you.

So please...... leave it out.

0 Ratings