cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuartgrn
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Getting slower speeds if using Apple Time Capsule??

Hi. Have had Infinity2 for a couple of weeks and am happy with the sevice - much faster than my old Virgin cable. When the engineer came he installed the white modem box and connected it to a Home Hub 4. With Virgin I used the Superhub in "modem" mode and connected it to my Time Capsule which handled all the wireless stuff. I was planning on doing the same kind of thing with the BT connection as I was very happy with the Time Capsules wireless performance. The Time Capsule is around 3 years old so it's not the newest one out but I was getting good speeds from the virgin service. After a search around the internet I found a forum instructing me to connect the white modem box directly to the Capsule and set the capsule up in PPPoE mode. This all worked really well but I was suprised at how slow the wireless connection was compared to the HomeHub. The HH4 got me around 71Mb bits per sec and the Capsule got me around 43Mb per sec. Can anyone give any guidence? I am happy with the wireless speed the HH4 is giving me but wite wifi signal can be erratic at times - some mornings a power cycle is needed to reset the wireless signal. Also, when my wife uses her hair dryer, this also sometimes knocks out the wireless signal and I have to reset. Any help would be great. Thank you

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Getting slower speeds if using Apple Time Capsule??

is your time capsule Wireless N rated if it is not then that could certainly be a possible cause
0 Ratings
stuartgrn
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Yes, it us wireless N rated. It is dual-band.
0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

OP stated:

"Also, when my wife uses her hair dryer, this also sometimes knocks out the wireless signal and I have to reset."

You have solved your own problem because wireless is prone to all kinds of interference [TV`s,Radio`s,PC`s,central heating devices,even traffic passing your home etc.]

The only way to have an almost interference free connection is to always use ethernet,I know that is not always possible but wireless will always be a gamble.

Try moving the wireless antennas about a bit untill you recieve a stronger signal,it is a bit like the old days of indoor TV antennas,it was trial and error.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 7

Stopping the wife using her hair dryer won't be an easy fix - it'll be an impossible one!

0 Ratings
ironman123
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

LOL! yeah pippin I know,but it proves the point I guess.Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

My time capsule bust recently but before that I had it connected via. powerline adapters directly to the HH3 rather than to the modem.

I know I only have infinity 1 but I used to get download speeds via. wifi of 37.6 - 37.8 from my 38.72 connection from the time capsules wifi.

I now use an even older original Airport Express to create a WifFi network in the same manner and get exactly the same download results.

I would recommend steering clear of the OpenReach Modem and connect the Time capsule to the HH4 and see if you get better results that way.

I would also set your WiFi to 802.11n only (5GHz) to keep away from interferring signals.

0 Ratings