cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saxondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Good old orange light of doom!

For a couple of weeks now we've been getting very low speeds on our Infinity 2 service. We were using a HH5, but after two 1 hour long calla to BT, they 'upgraded' us to a HH6.

The new router worked for a few days and we were getting a strong connection with relatively good speeds. However last Thursday (28th December), we woke to the dreaded orange light of doom. After yet another call to BT, going through all the same info and checks, it was decided that an engineer needed to attend.

The engineer was initially booked for between 12pm and 3pm today (Tues 2nd Jan). I received a message yesterday saying he would actually be here between 8am and 1pm. When he hadn't shown by 1:30pm I called BT, only to be told he was still scheduled for the original time slot.

At 2:50pm I received a call from a guy saying the engineer was off sick a new appointment couldn't be made until Friday. After getting a tad annoyed, they've now bumped us up to Thursday.

I've tried the old HH5, to see if it's just the new hub that's faulty, but that too is just showing an orange light.

Has anyone had a similar experience with their hub? And if so, how was it resolved?

We're seriously considering cancelling BT, and they can stick their early cancellation fee where the sun doesn't shine. Their Ts & Cs state that promise to resolve any loos of service within 3 working days, so they're in breach of contract!
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Good old orange light of doom!

Welcome to this user forum.

There are some ongoing issues which are very similar to yours.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-2-WAN-Connection-Dead/td-p/1805...

Does that tie up with your dates?

0 Ratings
Saxondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Hi Keith and thanks for the reply.

The dates are similar, but my issues with total loss of BB started a few days later than in that thread.

We have no loss of phone service or any noise on the line. Both th hub and phone are plugged into the same master socket (dsl line on top and phone on the bottom), with no extra filters.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Can you plug in the home hub 6 again please, and provide the following information. Click on this link

Smart hub (HH6) connection information- you need to be connected to the home hub to see this info.

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

0 Ratings
Saxondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Hi Keith. Having to do all this via my phone so sorry for the delay. Is this the info you needed?

BTHH6_1.pngBTHH6_2.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Thanks,

That is strange, it shows a connection speed, but no DSL uptime.

Can you please try a factory reset of the home hub please, then see if it connects?

Factory reset your home hub

0 Ratings
Saxondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Strange indeed.

I've tried the factory restart again, to no avail I'm afraid. In fact this has been tried before at the request of BT's tech support.  I've also tried resetting the hub using a cocktail stick on the hole at the back. But again, no joy.

There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for it, as BT aren't showing any fault on the line or wire broadband in this area.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Its odd you get it on two different home hubs, so its seems unlikely both home hubs are faulty.

I think you are going to have to wait for a visit, but its worth checking that its nothing at your end.

You say that the phone is fine. Have you dialled 1470 17070 and checked that the phone number read out, is in fact your phone number, and you do not have a crossed line?

0 Ratings
Saxondale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Just tried it and the number read back was our correct number. It then gave a number of options for 'fast test', 'clear down' etc. Didn't choose an option because I wasn't sure what they did.

The enigma deepens...

Let me take this opportunity though, to thank you for your continued help with this Keith. It is appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Option 2 is quiet line test, which you can try. It should be totally quiet between the announcements.

If you have not altered or unplugged anything, then it may be an issue at the cabinet.

Have you checked at the test socket?

This is the test socket on most sockets.

This is the test you would need to do Testing from the test socket - yours may not look like this

Which number matches your master socket?

Single master sockets

Filtered sockets

I am off to bed now, but another forum member should be able to help with the information you provide. I suspect you will have to wait for a visit, unless it is something there.

0 Ratings