cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
metaphor101
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Google WiFi and Vlan

Been using Google WiFi, connected to a TP Link WD-9970 modem set in bridge mode. However, I have been getting connection drop outs to some of my devices and Google support are telling me it is because I have Enable VLAN set to 101. Google WiFi apparently does not support VLAN. Modem set up like that automatically, although I read in numerous places that VLAN needed to be set to 101.

I then disabled VLAN, but Google WiFi did not, or could not pick up the connection, so I had to revert. Google support are telling me that I need to disable VLAN on my modem, factory reset Google WiFi and then set up again.

Before, I go through this pain, does anyone have any experience, or advice on this? I don’t use BTTV if that is relevant and thanks in advance for any help.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Google WiFi and Vlan

Hi @metaphor101 ,

I think it may be best to post your question on the Google Wi-Fi Community here: https://support.google.com/wifi/community?hl=en

Failing that:

1) Do you use Google WiFi for PPPoE details?
2) Does your modem work NOT using a VLAN if using another router?
2) Factory reset everything and start again if it doesn't.

But as Google Wi-Fi is heavily consumer-based, I doubt it needs to use VLAN 101. And, a quick google search for 'vlan google wifi' shows that it is not supported.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
metaphor101
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for taking the time to answer. In answer to your questions - 

1. Yes

2. Don’t have one to try

3. Been done

Google Wifi does not support Vlan - it works, but just with occasional drop outs. The problem is that it does not get an internet connection if you disable Vlan on the modem. I can only assume that BT Broadband needs Vlan enabled

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 4

As you connect at the exchange via a VLAN its no wonder you can't get a connection if you disable it in the modem.

0 Ratings