cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Got Full Fibre availability text from BT. Does this require an engineer visit?

Go to solution

Hi, I got this text from BT...

'Hi, Full Fibre broadband is now available in your area, and you can upgrade today. Enjoy game-changing speeds, faster than our standard fibre, direct to your door. Get speed you can rely on. Even at the busiest times. Terms apply.'

I am currently on Fibre 1 and get an average 36Mb. I'd like to go for the upgrade, but I'd like to know how the setup process works for this.

I have included a photo of my BT socket below. 

We have some furniture close to the socket so I mainly want to know if an engineer needs easy access to this so I can be sure to make ample room for them to work. I read something about an ONT, I don’t know what that is. Is this another box I’d need plugged in alongside my existing Smart Hub 2?

Also, is it possible to get better deals as a longtime BT customer than what is displayed on the website? I have noticed Talk Talk and Sky are considerably cheaper and include vouchers upto £100 depending on package.

B7527E7A-C311-418A-A246-308CC2FE6D8D.jpeg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Got Full Fibre availability text from BT. Does this require an engineer visit?

Go to solution

You can check to see if FTTP is available to you by entering your phone number and post results. The  ircular that you have received is often sent to  people in an area but not everyone who receives the circular can actually get FTTP yet.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If your get FTTP then probably get digital voice and the master socket will no !Inger be used

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Re: Got Full Fibre availability text from BT. Does this require an engineer visit?

Go to solution
Thanks for the link. Here are my results below, though I am not sure what I am looking for. It does seem to show fibre availability, but at the bottom it also states that FTTP is not a priority. I can confirm via. the BT website, when I am signed in, Full Fibre 500 and 900 do appear to be available to order.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) help 37.4 26.6 6.6 4.7 23.6 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 35.9 22.5 6.4 4 18.9 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
WBC FTTP Upto 1000 Upto 220 -- Available 1 Stage
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 18 -- 16 to 19.5 Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 18 Up to 1.5 16 to 19.5 Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available --
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 18 -- 16 to 19.5 -- --
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 2 -- -- --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 41.96
Max Observed Upstream Speed 6.94
Observed Date 2022-05-14
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 11-05-2022
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y
The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Oct 2013. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Assuming you can get FTTP , if your service is overhead from a telegraph pole , then a new fibre dropwire is erected from the pole to your house, it is terminated on a CSP and an internal optical cable ran to the location of the ONT , this doesn’t have to be where the current master socket is, but  it has to be be near mains power ,  within reason, you can ask the installer to put the ONT where is best for you , underground is similar but the cable brought to the house wall underground.

As indicated , you need to check , as you could have a situation where neighbours have different  survey results, one may say no anticipated issues , another may need a pre install visit ( KCI2 ) to ascertain what’s needed to provide service…

Just seen your post, looks like overhead with no anticipated issues , 

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Checker confirms FTTP available so phone FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and they should be able to help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for info everyone. The BT master socket I posted a photo of, what happens with that, does it stay or go? I was thinking this ONT box thing would just replace the old master socket. 

We do actually have some other wall sockets in all the rooms with what appears to be ethernet and TV aerial sockets. I don't know if it's possible or worth exploring doing anything with these for the new Full Fibre setup? I can confirm the TV aerial sockets only work in the main living room, and not in any of the other rooms - perhaps this indicates the ethernets won't be setup properly either.  Would be nice if that could be hooked up and then all the rooms can have access to wired connection at fast speeds. Or is that likely to be a hassle?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

The fibre cable terminates in the ONT which is the optical modem. The ONT then connects to your hub via an Ethernet cable. Any further cabling to provide Ethernet connection to your devices from the hub is entirely your responsibility.

If you wish the hub to be sited remotely from the ONT, it will be up to you to provide the necessary Ethernet cabling.

With Digital Voice, your master socket and any extension sockets are effectively redundant although Openreach will leave everything in situ rather than remove it.

The ONT doesn't have to be in the same location as your current master socket as it is a totally separate service.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Is it a newish property? The ethernet sockets may go back to a multi-way patch panel, possibly hidden in a cupboard. You'd need to have a search & maybe ask neighbours if they have the same.

If you want the TV sockets live take a look in the loft & see if there's a distribution amplifier up there or evidence that one may have been there previously. Numerous possibilities from the amplifier being unplugged so it has no power to previous owners taking it with them. Again a chat with the neighbours might be beneficial.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for explaining.

If the master socket is redundant, for a tidier setup I presume it would be common for them to run the new optical cable along the same path, remove the master socket and put this new ONT box in its place. Is that how it typically works when upgrading?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
I do vaguely recall about 10 years ago mention of some box in the attic. Kind of sounds like it might be a hassle. I’m not sure how that setup would even work. I guess ONT box would go in the attic… I’m not sure.

We have very good wifi coverage in all rooms from the Smart Hub 2, so that option may not be worth exploring.

Currently the master socket and Smart Hub 2 are located in a second living room where we have PS5, Xbox, SkyQ mini and Apple TV 4K wired to the BT Smart Hub. I’d be content if the setup remained much the same. Although the attic idea could have maybe been an interesting possibility to coincide with a Full Fibre install.
0 Ratings