cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
victoria087
Message 1 of 16

Got fibre in my area, but cabinet is full!

Go to solution

Really wanted to get BT infinity as current broadband just isn't good enough, so looked into getting BT Infinity. Said it wasn't available in my area. The following day, all websites from all providers- not just BT- were suddenly showing my address and telephone number could get fibre, hooray! 

Was going to get fibre that day, but couldn't decide on a package so thought i would sleep on it. Next day i come to order BT Infinity, it shows as unavailable again. I call BT and the person on the phone tells me that it's 'temporarily' unavailable because the cabinet is full! 

I'm told that a space must have become available and then gone again. From what she could see, it had become unavailable again that morning. Couldn't tell me if there was a projected date for an extra cabinet or anything like that. 

Spoke to the neighbours today (who are on the same cabinet) and turns out they've had fibre for 2 months! Had I known it was a first come first serve basis would have snapped it up pronto.

Seems silly that openreach says 85% of UK will have fibre, if there isn't enough room in the cabinets! It's like; "oh sorry, there is fibre but you were at the back of the queue...tough luck."  

Anyone else had this problem?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 16

Re: Got fibre in my area, but cabinet is full!

Go to solution

You can set up a page watcher to email you when your cabinet status changes. Like this:

Simply copy the URL link and edit it as required.

Telephone number URL. Change 01234567890 to the phone number you wish to monitor.

To watch the page use this service

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Victoria087,

Thanks for the post and welcome the forum.  Sounds very frustrating Smiley Sad

I would like to look into this for you.  Cant make any promises but would like to see what our systems shows, its seem very strange that for one day only, the BT checker said you could place an order for Infinity.  It is possible that your local cab has reached its limit in terms of connections it can offer but I would like to double check.

I will need your details, ideally your telephone number.  Click on my username, (SeanD) and you will find our contact link under the 'About me' section of my profile.

Cheers

Sean 

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution
My mum did, the cabs have line cards in them that hold so meny connections. chances are in that one day enough people order to fill the ports available. good news is that openreach will be already aware of it and will fit a new line card shortly. im guessing your adsl2+ speed aint great, mum went from speed tests of 1.56 to 70.24 and with both my youngest brother and sister still at home you can guess how much nicer the internet is in that house 😉
0 Ratings
victoria087
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Yep, had speeds of 1MB lately, sometimes not going over 0.8MB despite having projected speeds of 4-7. Not great when two or three people are trying to watch TV...contacted provider yesterday and they got it up to 3, still not great! Hopefully they'll add another line card to the cabinet soon, fingers crossed. 70.24 would be amazing!

0 Ratings
victoria087
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks Ray for the tip, just set up an alert for my number Smiley Happy Hopefully it will change soon! Currently still showing "FTTC is currently not available on this cabinet due to following reasons:- Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible." Sigh. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

I would take up SeanD's offer of help and contact him. He may be able to give you more information.

0 Ratings
Fatboyslick
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Can I quickly hijack this - in the same position.

BT tell me Im added to the mailing list.

Is there any other way to check other than daily logging into BT and checking if I can upgrade?

The page alert option above isnt working for me is it is only tracking the page where you add your own number and not the results

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
best to check daily
0 Ratings
caapo
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Ray - I have the same issue. Fibre Available but no capacity. I tried to follow your suggestion, monitor and check. Not clear how to interpret the dsl checker page for this. Everything shows up as 'available' cannot seem to determine where the capacity information is shown. Am i missing something? My line is ***EDITED BY MOD***

0 Ratings