Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MadusMaximus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Gradual Connection Speed Degradation

Hi,

I'm hoping someone could help me resolve an issue I've been facing for the last few months now. My connection began to get ever slower since around mid November of last year and right now it's at an all time low.

When the connection was orignally installed I was getting the quoted 72-80mbit down and 17-20mbit up, though during peak times this could of course go down to the high 50's on the down (the up was more or less consistent no matter the time of day). Right now I'm connecting at a measly 4-5mbit (yes, megaBIT) while my upload speed is hovering around 0.6mbit. This is less than half the speed I was on with ADSL.

The cabinet is around 50m from my property (if not closer) so I'm more than certain distance is not the issue. I also live just over 1km away from the local exchange.

To add a little extra information about my network set up I'm currently using the HH5 as a modem and wired router, then an Apple AirPort Express as my WiFi access point. I'm getting the same upload and download speeds on every computer and device in the house and my main machine (an iMac) is connected via CAT5E directly to the HH5. It doesn't seem to make one bit of difference to the speed if I disable and remove everything from the network (even physically disconnecting the cables and pulling the power) and run nothing but the HH5 with either a wired or wireless connection.

As you can imagine paying for up to 80mbit fibre (which my line is capable of and HAS actually recieved reliably in the past) yet getting sub ADSL speeds is somewhat vexxing.

Here is the usual data I see asked for on these things. Hopefully something can be done. I have a feeling my profile has been changed but this is just a hunch at the present time.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ41051260
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 16/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 05:07:49
6. Data rate:800 / 4695
7. Maximum data rate:14686 / 62801
8. Noise margin:21.9 / 23.4
9. Line attenuation:12.9 / 17.1
10. Signal attenuation:12.9 / 17.3
11. Data sent/received:837.1 MB / 6.1 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No

Any assistance in resolving this matter will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: Gradual Connection Speed Degradation

Looks like you have a line fault which will require an engineer visit to resolve.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
MadusMaximus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Ah! Thanks for the speedy reply.

How would one go about setting this up?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Get in touch with the helpdesk and request an engineer.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
onslow
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

It's a great shame that BT locks down its routers so much. They are a hive of hidden information that can help to pinpoint the problem.   e.g. the FEC, CRC and ES statistical counters in the modem provide an important snapshot of disruptive noise on the line.  Sadly, the HomeHubs don't disclose any of these counters on their web pages. Although BT can log-in remotely to our routers, to obtain those statistics itself.   The humble subscriber is presumed too stupid to be allowed to determine the problem for himself. :smileyembarrassed:

It sounds like you've got yourself a common-or-garden line-fault.  Bad joints in the cabling, or perished insulation causing water ingress, are the common cause of line noise

The two modems - in the DSLAM and in your HomeHub - try to compensate for that line noise by adding heavier and heavier interleaving; a method of error correction to overcome short bursts of noise, to maintain connection stability.   This method of error correction introduces an overhead which can see the rate of data throughput plummet.  Just as you are experiencing.

Is there any audible noise - crackling, hissing, spitting or humming - when you use the telephone?  Audible noise is often the clearest and the most indisputable indicator of a line fault.

You might want to check, before calling in the engineer, that your internal cabling isn't contributing to the fault.  BT loves to blame internal wiring as an excuse for billing the customer for any repairs.

See Daily Mail; 13 Aug 2014 - "The £130 call-out fee BT shouldn't charge you: Householders are paying for fixing phone line problems that aren't their fault"

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2723459/The-130-call-fee-BT-shouldnt-charge-you.htm...

Hope you get it sorted soon, MadusMaximus, before it makes you any madder! :smileyvery-happy:

0 Ratings
MadusMaximus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

You know, water getting into the line sounds quite plausible actually. I've noticed I sometimes get disconnected during heavy-ish rain. This was never the case before I had Infinity installed so it may be something the engineer overlooked when doing it. He had to come back later in the day to try and get my connection working after doing something else at the cabinet, though that may just be pure coincidence.

I'll give it another couple of days I think so I can properly check my lines for faults etc to rule out anything on my end. The last thing I want is to have to take a day off work and pay a call out fee on top of losing said days pay!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

@MadusMaximus wrote:
You know, water getting into the line sounds quite plausible actually. I've noticed I sometimes get disconnected during heavy-ish rain. 
How long do the disconnections last in wet weather? If your service goes down for long periods, there may be water ingress somewhere. If the disconnects are short in duration (a minute or two), it could be down to poor insulation on a cable, causing shorting. I had a (seemingly) identical problem to yours with speeds degrading over time, due to frequent drop outs. Problem solved eventually when Openreach replaced my old drop wire from the telegraph pole to my property. 
It took five engineer visits in total to sort out my line. Thankfully, I was never charged for any of the call outs. 

0 Ratings
MadusMaximus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

It drops out for a couple of minutes at a time. This becoming an issue during wetter periods may help explain some things. It was pretty solid during the summer when it hardly rained.
0 Ratings
plymchris
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Unless you hit the jackpot with Openreach on their first visit, weather related disconnects can be a potentially never ending source of frustration, particularly if the engineer attends on a nice sunny day.

You may get a new face plate and an IP profile reset. That may well be all you need. You won't know until it rains again!

Do you have a traditional drop wire/telegraph pole set up to your house? If so, are you able to make a visual assessment of the drop wire? Is it light grey in colour and scrawny looking? If so it is in excess of forty years old, is likely to be poorly insulated and would never have been designed for anything other than an old candlestick telephone. The modern stuff is quite thick and sheathed in black. If you've got the old stuff I would ask the engineer to replace it. 

You could also have had a dodgy initial install. There are a lot of them about, particularly if it was sub-contracted by Openreach to someone else. I was left with two live mastersockets after mine!

Good luck with the engineer visit. Let us know how it goes. 

0 Ratings
MadusMaximus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Just a quick update. The engineer came and replaced the drop wire. He just looked at the old one and came to the instant conclusion that was the problem. No more noise on the line yey!

Now the next step is to wait for my connection speed to get back to normal which can take a couple of days apparently, otherwise I'll need to get a broadband engineer to sort it out (yey, more time off work).

At least the cause of the problems should now be fixed. In theory.
0 Ratings