Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamsheff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Gradually Reduced Speed?

Hello all,

Back in May I got BT FTTC and was syncing at about 75/20. Gradually over the year it reduced to 62/20. Not much, but annoying nonetheless. I spoke to BT and insisted an engineer came out - who switched the port in the Huawei cab (said it may be faulty) and now I’m at 65/20. Which is good, but not as good as previous.

The engineer said that he would be ‘calling back’ to Openreach whilst he was at the cabinet and it may take time, presumably for a DLM reset? Although from looking at my IP address and running speed tests each day, it’s not once resynced over the two weeks now.

I am using the Openreach modem so not got access to many stats, but IP profile is 67.65, noise margin is 6.3db and pings are 12.

Does anybody know why my speeds may have reduced and what I can do to to improve them? I wondered how long it takes to get on the 3db profile?

Thanks in advance!
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: Gradually Reduced Speed?

Probably due to increased crosstalk as more customers take up service on the cabinet.

0 Ratings
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 27

@licquorice wrote:

Probably due to increased crosstalk as more customers take up service on the cabinet.

Is there a solution?

A lot of people with speed going down problems including myself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 27

There have been trials of a technology called 'vectoring' to mitigate effects of crosstalk but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it being adopted universally.

0 Ratings
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 27

@licquorice wrote:

There have been trials of a technology called 'vectoring' to mitigate effects of crosstalk but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it being adopted universally.

I'm told the links virgin media use are co-axial to their cabinets purhaps a simple fix there.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 27

Err, no. If you are going to replace twisted copper pair, you would replace it with fibre not another ancient copper technology such as co-ax.

0 Ratings
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 27

Yes but I'm aware of the out of this world price to have fiber to my house and only bussiness can afford that, and been told in the forum it won't happen free.

VM also have their cabinets in every street of the areas they serve so co-ax is far shorter than my 60 year old copper line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Virgin supply co-ax, Openreach supply twisted pair or fibre. It is impossible for Openreach to supply co-ax without completely changing their whole infrastructure which would be (a) far more expensive than moving to fibre (b) a backward step.

0 Ratings
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 27

Well my twisted copper not working for me in that it won't give the speed expected.

Thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
Adamsheff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 27

Ah ok, sounds like it could be crosstalk then. I live in a very densely populated area and there’s no virgin media here. So everybody will be using the old copper lines!

I don’t suppose there’s a change that DLM could improve the speed? Does the 3db noise margin help? How long does it take DLM to notice the line can handle 3db?

Thanks
0 Ratings