cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 27

Re: Gradually Reduced Speed?

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

this will show estimated range for your line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Adamsheff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Not sure how this will paste but I’ll give it a go...!

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 63 20 19 55
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 76.7 51.3 20 17.2 39.8
0 Ratings
Adamsheff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 27

https://imgur.com/a/LadcM

I’ve uploaded a screenshot.

Thanks guys
0 Ratings
FocusTech
Beginner
Message 14 of 27

Hey, reading this no one has mentioned contention.

Whatever the broadband technology part of the connection will be shared with others.

If you have had a recent uptake in the area of people signing up for FTTC then your overall performance may be impacted as contention will have increased.

Other factors...

At the same time weather (especially damp or wet) can cause problems with the insulation on the cables and cause a drop in speed. In hot weather lines can stretch and also cause problems.

Another thing that people also confuse is the speeds.

Connection speeds are measured in Mega Bits Per Seconds not Mega Bytes per second which also leads to confusion.

People expect downloads on an 80 Mbps connection to download 80 MB in 1 seconds, this simply wont happen. Actual speeds would be around 10MB per second.

Also i see a lot of variance because Windows10 for example is downloading or uploading (if you have not turned off the update sharing) in the background.

And, ISPs only quite "up to" a certain speed.

If you truly get the speed you expect then you are lucky.

My own connections at work and home can show variance of up to 20% depending on what is happening on the line and at a given time of day.

Speedtest.net and the BT Wholesale Speed Tests are simply guides and will only give you a result at that given point in time.

Source = years of running an IT and Comms business and spending too much time talking to ISP techs!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

@FocusTech wrote:

Hey, reading this no one has mentioned contention.

Whatever the broadband technology part of the connection will be shared with others.

Download speed is affected by congestion but DSL sync speed isn't.

0 Ratings
FocusTech
Beginner
Message 16 of 27

True enough but sync speed will vary every time you connect.
It only represents the possible maximum speed under perfect conditions.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 17 of 27

@FocusTech there's no contention on FTTC. There may occasionally congestion issues but these are normally fixed pretty quickly retified by BTWholesale.

Each FTTC cab is capable of supplying 80Mbps to every connection simultaneously.

0 Ratings
FocusTech
Beginner
Message 18 of 27

Partially correct, there is no contention to the cab but there is at the exchange!
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 19 of 27

@FocusTech wrote:
Partially correct, there is no contention to the cab but there is at the exchange!

Again incorrect. As I said there may be congestion occasionally but it is normally rectified pretty quickly by BTWholesale. The backcone has plenty of dark fibre available.

0 Ratings
Adamsheff
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Thanks for the comments guys!

Do the results from the screenshot I attached show that the line could improve? If there’s crosstalk, will that prevent the line from performing well enough to get a 3-5db noise margin?
0 Ratings