Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scully1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 52

Re: Great Western Park, Didcot

Go to solution
Only thing that we can do is wait and continue to check the cabinet connection via http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl
0 Ratings
oreng14
Message 12 of 52

Go to solution

I can confirm that FTTP is available for GWP. At the moment at least, FTTC is not available.  As far as ordering BT infinity goes you need to make sure that the sales person is aware that it is FTTP that you require, if they say it is not available for your area, then it just means that the network has not been installed in your street yet... So keep checking every so often. You should be able to order BB through the normal copper network straight away but due to the distance you are from the exchange the speed you will get will not be fantastic.

Good luck and if you have any questions the ladies in the sales office are reasonably well informed of progress of the BT network.

0 Ratings
Arkroyal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 52

Go to solution

Hi Oreng14,  could you possibly provide further information that you know FTTP is available at Great Western Park, Didcot?  I have been following this thread since Sully1990 posted his/her concerns as I will also be another person joining the Great Western Park shortly.

Unfortunately I will be moving from a middle of nowhere village where I have enjoyed an 8mb line to a 3mb line in the suburbs of a prospering town, which I thought for a brand new housing estate full of new builds is very disappointing and a major facepalm.

Sam Knows - Didcot (SMDC) Exchange information

No mention of FTTP just FTTC

0 Ratings
Arkroyal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 52

Go to solution

Just an update.

I was down Great Western Park this afternoon to check on my property before I move in next week. As I was leaving I saw an Openreach BT Engineer working on a what looked like a Totem pole under the pavement (Looks like a plastic pole with light grey flaps on each side). I asked him to spare a few minutes and asked him if he knew what kind of internet was being installed in the estate.

While we were talking he mentioned at that very moment he was wiring properties to FTTP (Fiber to Premises) which was what the flaps on the side of the black pole must of been, each property is assigned one of the flaps which then connects to the fibre box below, that fibre box connects to another fibre box until it reaches the exchange.  So there is no FTTC (Fibre to Cabinet) it is all done underground.

The engineer also stated that if you phone BT make them aware that you want FTTP and not FTTC as BT sales will automatically assume you are ordering FTTC which is probably the most common.

So Oreng14 is correct they are installing FTTP at Great Western Park as we speak and slowly making their way around the estate.

For Sully1990 and others I bumped into the BT engineer on the pavement off Sir Frank Williams Ave and Red Kite Way junction.

This is what the engineer had on his lap while he was connecting FTTP to each property. Then a Black enclosure goes over the top for protection and waterproof.

0 Ratings
oreng14
Message 15 of 52

Go to solution

I would just like to add that there may be a small delay in some people getting connected at the moment due to a shortage of copper lines from the exchange. This is being dealt with at the moment but there is a delay in the final connection that needs to be made to the new cable as temporary traffic lights need to be arranged due to the location of the joint. As far as the fibre goes its as Arkroyal says, keep phoning BT and make sure you ask for FTTP.

0 Ratings
Arkroyal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 52

Go to solution

@oreng14 wrote:

I would just like to add that there may be a small delay in some people getting connected at the moment due to a shortage of copper lines from the exchange. This is being dealt with at the moment but there is a delay in the final connection that needs to be made to the new cable as temporary traffic lights need to be arranged due to the location of the joint.

I am feeling that pain now, though the phone will be connected on Friday 31st the internet wont be ready until 12th February. 😞

Originally the installation was sheduled for 21st January but Openreach never told BT that the installation was not going ahead, this caused all manner of issues including a 50 mile round trip for parents who house sit for me on that afternoon.  Very shoddy service and still a BT manager never phoned back. Just as well I went back to my trusted award winning ISP Zen Internet of whom I have been with for 14 years.

Only reason I went with BT was to waiver the installation fee. Never again will I mix BT and BTOpenreach.

0 Ratings
schmidster87
Beginner
Message 17 of 52

Go to solution

I moved in November and requested a line/broadband straight away. I've had installations scheduled for 20 December, 10 January and both were no shows. Special accounts team forgot to ring me to say they were cancelled (even though they did manage to send reminder texts the day before re my appointment). I've been told all manner of information and the previous update was that traffic management and permission from the council had been granted to complete the works required to install the new cable. I was told this would take place 13-17 February, however today my update is that the work has been delayed and now I won't get any update until 25 Feb. Not great service - over 3 months and still nowhere near to getting a phone line. Would be interested to see how other people are getting on.

0 Ratings
antakar
Beginner
Message 18 of 52

Go to solution

Just today i have noticed couple of Openreach cars and an open  ... stuff(well?) in the pavement with FO cables inside.

That is on the Blackthorn road.

I had a chat with the kind Openrach engineer, he said that all uneven numbers on Balckthorn road will be connected to the infrastructure by this Thursday.

Later that information will go to BT, and from that point it can take anything from couple of days to couple of weeks until ppl will be able to start placing orders.

And the trick is to keep checking on the BT Infinity website by giving postcode along with the house number.

As for the even numbers on the Blackthorn - the guy said that he havent heard about close plans to wire it up. So ppl will have to wait a bit longer. But that can happen very soon.

As for the blocks of flats at the end/beginning of the Blackthorn he said that he dont know about them either, as he works in the other department that doesnt deal with the flats.

0 Ratings
Scully1990
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 52

Go to solution
One step closer to damson drive.
0 Ratings
Arkroyal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 52

Go to solution

Hi,

Update on my end of things.

Still waiting for my phone line to be installed and as the previous poster said it seems to be a traffic management issue at the exchange and also a request to the council (which one, no idea) to dig up a road for engineers to proceed.

What i have done was emailed Ed Vaizey (Member of Paliment, MP for Media, Communications and Culture). I explained to Mr Vaizey the problems I was having and he replied very quickly saying I was the 2nd person to complain to him, he immediate forwarded my email and his reply to a chap called Bill Murphy who is the Managing Director of Next Generation Access for BTOpenreach, and he is currently looking into the issue.  Bill Murphy emailed me last Friday and Saturday to mention there is a delay to the traffic management and is scheduled to give me another update on the 7th March.

Fibre (FTTP) has been laid along Blackthorn Road during the end of January and outside my property on 31st January.

What makes me angry is that BTOpenreach is still giving false dates to ISP's to forward to their customers wasting their time and resources especially when I have already lost a days wages (yet to claim compensation, waiting for saga to finish).

0 Ratings