cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gman99
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Great speeds initially months later they've halved.

Go to solution

Evening all,

I had Infinity installed early Dec 2012, I was estimated 35Mbps down prior to ordering, when the engineer came his tester showed the full rate. My initial speeds tests were great and they eventually settled down to an ip profile of 59Mbps.

Happy days Smiley Happy

FFWD to now

Since about a week ago my speeds have dropped to half or less of what I originally had. (see results below), the profile has dropped slightly but the actual throughput ranges from 29-35Mbps 😞

I contacted the Helpdesk and was told they wouldn't investigate it further because it is working with the point of sale estimate of 35Mbps.

I've gone from being a happy customer to unhappy, the helpdesk told me it was a fluke that its been working so well and my line is only capable of 35Mbps despite it working great for months. If that was the case surely my profile should have dropped to about 38Mbps?

Any ideas? Sounds like I've been fobbed off

Infinity.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Great speeds initially months later they've halved.

Go to solution

Hi

The reason your speed has dropped is because of a noise issue this has caused the DLM to reduce your IP profile to stabilise the line all you need to do is leave the connection alone for up to 2 weeks and once the DLM see the line as stable again it should start to rise again

Highlighted
gman99
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks John, so even though the profile has only reduced slightly it can have a major impact on the speed?

If there was a fault I expected the profile to drop down to say 38Mbps or something like that.

I'll give it a two weeks then and hopefully it will improve, I assume you've seen this same thing before

Thank you for your help I will update in a few weeks

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

If that profile is correct then you should see better speeds.

Sometimes DLM has to lower your sync speed (cabinet to modem) but the IP Profile is not reset to reflect this (BRAS mismatch).  If you disconnect and reconnect the router (NOT the modem) that will force the IP/BRAS Profile to be updated to the appropriate figure.  You are likely to see one of two things:

1) The new IP Profile is lower (around 36Mbps maybe).  This shows that DLM has lowered your speed for some reason as suggested by John, and that is the reason for your lower download speeds.  With luck, whatever the reason was will go away, and DLM will raise your speed again (eventually).  

If that is the case, disconnect/reconnect the router each morning in case you get a BRAS mismatch the other way; IP profile too low for sync speed.  The actual speed you get is effectively lower of sync speed and IP Profile.  Router reconnect can never do any harm; if the profile is too high you are limited by the sync anyway so the lowered profile from a reconnect won't hurt; if the profile is too low it is limiting you unnecessarily and the raised profile from a reconnect will benefit you.

2) The IP Profile remains more or less where it is around 52Mbps, but the download speed remains low.  That indicates some other non-DLM issue which needs looking at.

gman99
Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you

I have disconnected and reconnected the router and re-run the wholesale tester

My download speed is 31.4 Mbps and my profile has risen ever so slighty to  53.35 Mbps

So this is covered by your 2) response?

The trouble is the helpdesk are unwilling to look at it, they said my high speeds over the last 4 months were just a fluke and that my line is only really capable of 35Mbps which was quoted at point of sale and because my speeds are in that region everything is ok.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, that certainly looks like my case 2.

I see that none of us has asked the standard question, are you running wired or wireless?

You could have a sudden issue like that with wireless if something changed the wireless quality: for example a change in a neighbour's router.

If your tests are wireless, run a wired test just to confirm if it is broadband or a wireless problem.

If it is a wireless one, there are various suggestions that will be made.

If possible, do a test well outside peak (mainly evening) hours.  There have been some peak slowdowns recently, especially in the south-west.  Hopefully BT will be able to find and sort those out.

If you are already running wired and seeing those results even off-peak, you should probably contact the mods at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 . But be aware they take 3 working days to reply: sometimes more if busy.

The may not be too willing to help either

gman99
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Sorry yeah I should have posted up that up wireless is a big gotcha obviously

No I'm wired straight into the HH nothing has changed on my set-up, I've tried different PC's blah blah all in advance of contacting the helpdesk

These speeds are any time of day, morning lunch , aft , evening 😞

Thank you both for your suggestions they are great appreciated

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

First test is to try a different port on the HomeHub.

Second test (if you haven't already don it) is to power cycle the HomeHub. (NOT modem).

Final test is to rule out the HomeHub.  

Connect the computer direct to LAN1 on the modem.

From computer network settings, make a new broadband PPPoE connection:

user: bthomehub@btbroadband.com    password: bt

(user and pass not cirtical, but that pair works).

See what speeds that gives.

gman99
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

sjtp

Thank you, its something I should have tried myself Smiley Embarassed

I did a lot of testing last night based on your recommendation and to cut a long story short, its my laptop.

I've no idea why its doing it or why it has started but something on my PC is preventing me from getting faster speeds. If I plug another laptop onto the same Ethernet cable I get 50+mbps down each time, if I put it back in my laptop I get 30-35Mbps

So I've got to somehow work out what the issue is, its not the browser I know that. I might try uninstalling my AV totally and trying again although I have the same AV on the laptop that works fine.

Anyway thank you very much for everyones helps, based on what I was seeing it did look like a broadband issue but I should have done more testing... lesson learnt!

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Good luck.

Also try new ethernet drivers for the laptop.  Sometimes you can get better drivers from the laptop manufacturer or the ethernet adaptor manufacturer, and sometime generic windows ones work best.

It may be a TCP settings issue.  That is more likely on an older OS, modern ones are generally pretty good at getting things right automatically.  Check out TCP Optimizer http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php if you have an older OS.  If you are going to fiddle, don't forget to start with menu/File/Backup current Settings just in case.

0 Ratings