Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zeusdezov
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Grey box outside my home?

Hello,

I've been living at this property for three years nearly and I've always had to put up with slow internet speeds as my NEW BUILD & ESTATE... doesn't have the option for the fast speeds only the petty 8mb ones, which! You don't even get that! 2020 and we're still on **bleep**NET.

Anyway I saw an openreach engineer outside and I had to ask him why does he think we don't have this option, he replied with we do have fibre optic to the premises as he showed me the little grey box to goes to the home, he recommends I call BT and explain that it's a database error and get someone booked to come view this. So I called BT and they said no we can't do anything sorry, good bye.

So what do I have to do, to get "the database updated"? The engineer confidently said we 100% have fibre optic going to the premises and not copper.

This is the box I'm speaking about: https://www.google.com/search?q=grey+box+on+my+wall+bt&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjm2LDa95fpAhW_AGMBHbWuAzY...

I live in a maisonette if that matters. Cheers.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Grey box outside my home?

The link you posted contains hundreds of images of grey boxes, mainly for copper rather than fibre. Perhaps if you took a photo and posted that we might have a better idea.

In the meantime enter your phone number in the checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL and post a screenshot of the result. Edit out your phone number before posting.

0 Ratings
Zeusdezov
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Here is the images: https://imgur.com/a/0UwGmwh

But surely it makes no difference if the database isn't updated?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

do you have anything like this in your home  do your neighbours have FTTP?

can you post on forum instead of links as it says jumping between screen

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Do any of your neighbours have FTTP? The grey box could be for either fibre or copper, I presume there is just a master socket on the inside of the wall.

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

it would suggest, unless more internal pictures are coming, that you simpy have an underground copper lead in, what does the dsl checker show?

0 Ratings
Zeusdezov
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Nope nothing like this, just a master socket in the bedroom strangely.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@yorkspark  Exactly, no idea why the 'engineer' should regard it as confirmation that fibre was available.

0 Ratings