cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Guaranteed Minimum Speed Reduction

When I moved into my house and signed up to BT Superfast Fibre Unlimited it stayed that my guaranteed minimum speed was 35Mbps. I did not get this at 1st and it took 3 engineer visits to get it sorted and was getting around 43Mbps.

I then had a lot of issues with my connection dropping which took over 5 months to fix but eventually got there and my speed was back up to the 40-43Mbps mark.
But a few months ago my speed dropped down to 34.998 Mbps and stayed at that speed, which is pretty much bang on minimum, but 3 weeks ago is dropped further to exactly 30Mbps and when I ran the BT diagnostics it was actually coming out as 27Mbps so I raised a fault.

An engineer has just been round and explained to me that as some more connections have recently been added to the cabinet everyone’s speed has been reduced to accommodate the extra throughout on the fibre, and that now according to his notes by guaranteed minimum is now only 27Mbps.

So my question is, how can BT reduce my guaranteed minimum speed, which is contractual after all, without at least informing me and giving me the option of accepting it or moving elsewhere (not that that would change my speed of course)?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Guaranteed Minimum Speed Reduction

can you post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

enter your phone number and post results  delete number but leave exchange and cab  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should silent and best with corded phone

it is normal as the cabinet fills up that crosstalk increases causing a reduction in connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

HI @Burnside5 ,

As the engineer said it is probably down to crosstalk, see here for more info :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I will do when back home, but note sure how this answers the question of how and why have BT changed my minimum guaranteed speed from 35Mbps to 27Mbps without informing me? Doesn’t this make a mockery of having a contractual minimum agreed speed?

The engineer did reset my line and I am now up to 45Mbps, but he did say that DLM could bring that back down again at some point

0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

5D7D17F4-AB7A-4A55-9D2C-8235F13340F0.jpeg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

it could also have dropped connection speed due to line noise and interference over and above general crosstalk.  was your connection stable or dropping out every day or so which would result in DLM taking action by increasing noise margin and reducing connection speed

information will help give better picture of your connection and connection speed range

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 7 of 15

@Burnside5wrote:

but note sure how this answers the question of how and why have BT changed my minimum guaranteed speed from 35Mbps to 27Mbps without informing me? Doesn’t this make a mockery of having a contractual minimum agreed speed?

It doesn't have any bearing on it, when you took the service BT gave you a minimum guaranteed speed, this was confirmed by email or letter and that is your contract, what an engineer read from some notes doesn't impact your agreement at all.

If your speed falls below what BT gave you as a guaranteed minimum, then that is a conversation you have with BT, they will then have 30 days to get you above that speed or they will release you from the contract, ignore what you were indirectly told, BT haven't changed anything in terms of your agreement.

As you stated you now have 45 mbps, which is above your minimum guarantee you mentioned, if it falls you speak with BT and let them sort the rest.

Burnside5
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

The engineer’s information probably comes from the minimum guaranteed speed that BT currently offer for new services, I have checked that a few times and that has dropped from 35 to 32 and now 27. Just seems to be a constant battle to keep my speed up to the minimum, it drops below, engineer visits fix it but only for a short period and it drops again. Been like this for 18 months, leaving BT won’t fix this though as it will still be the same line.

It’s quite obvious that a whole new estate being built 2 years ago all connecting to an existing cabinet down the road would be an issue, they have just started to built another 118 houses next to us as well, will BT put another cabinet in and is it possible to switch from one cabinet to another?

0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

My connection was stable, I did have issues several months ago with my connection dropping almost hourly that took BT 5 months to fix, but since then it stays up for a couple weeks at a time

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

stats will be interesting especially attainable and connection speed and current noise margin

0 Ratings