Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

HG8110H-20 GPON BBU power supply

Go to solution

Is it possible / allowed to disconnect the BBU unit and connect the 240V adaptor output into the GPON device directly?

Notes:

I shall not be using FVA 'in the forseable  future' so the BBU is not needed (unless I have missed a point).

I do like the casing - it keeps all manner of loose cables tidy (my neighbours have bare units with fibre, power,Cat5 stuff everywhere (Yuk!).

If the 240 supply drops as it does occasionally, the BBU drops into recharge and stays that way for several hours and I'm a bit bothered that the batteries will get ovrecharged  and may generate an eror (?) for which I'm responsible.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: HG8110H-20 GPON BBU power supply

Go to solution

If the power fails, then the exchange would detect a loss of optical signal which would  raise a fault report.

The BBU keeps the ONT working. I would not worry about the batteries, as there is circuitry to control the charging.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Perceived wisdom used to be that the BBU was only there to provide handset ringing in the event of a power failure (although - come to think of it, if  I was using FVA I'd need all the other logic in the box to be working as well.

My install technician happened to have an HG8110 tucked away in his van - on seeing that I'd provided trunking and retaining screws to fit it, whereas all my neighbours (we were all installed roughly on the same day) had a different type of unit fitted - no BBU. Is that an indication that BT is not selling FVA at the moment??

FWIW - I have a string of NiMH batteries on permanent charge and occasionally one or more cells 'die' without good reason. Now the type supplied in the GPON is a higher capacity version of the AA cell and I not thta occasionally the pack is quite warm - which it shouldn't be - hence my question.

On the point of fault reporting at the exchange - as I'm the only customer in our lane with the HG8110 - won't they be raising a fault when the power goes off (which it does occasionally as we're all on overhead supplies) ??

BTW - many thanks for the prompt reply thus far

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

The BBU was only ever provided as part of the USO, which no longer exists.

With the exception of New Builds Openreach no longer Provide BBU’s anymore.

Also if you don’t have FVA now you never will as Openreach are scrapping the service soon. It’s to costly and complicated to maintain. If and when they scrap your traditional copper line you’ll be moved onto a VOiP Service.

So yes, you can remove the BBU and doing so won’t generate any fault report, not sure where that Kieth blokes getting that info from?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Starwire wrote:

So yes, you can remove the BBU and doing so won’t generate any fault report, not sure where that Kieth blokes getting that info from?

Probably thinking of business fibre (Private Circuit), which is proactively monitored for optical input failure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you gentlemen -  most illuminating replies!

'Things' are more complicated than I realise. I now understand why there has been a flood of HG81110H boxes on eBay in recent months. All I wanted was a neat and tidy box - which is what I've got.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

A further addition - perhaps only of marginal utility:-

I always thought / led to believe that the BBU was there to provide a handset bell ringing facility if the public supply failed.

It isn't.  It powers the whole unit (just tested it), though I can't see what possible use that might be for anyone!  You still need power for all your other devices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Makes me laugh when I see ONT’s on sale. They’re not like DSL Modems you use on VDSL or G.Fast. They have to be Registered against an OGEA Service and the corresponding Port at the Head End.

Only Openreach have the ability to do that so all they really have is a £20 paper weight.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Hmm - I ddn't notice much / any time spent on registering the unit by the technician - though he spent 2 hours trying to attach the fibre (I think it was his first install) - neds more than a visit to Specsavers - a microscope come to mind.

I got in early with my GPON before folks noew what they were. A princely £4 - worth that not only as a template but a set of best quality (?) high capacity batteries to boot.

FWIW - I switched off my unit for less than five minutes at around lunchtime today and restarted it. It's still charging at ten minutes to the Archers time and the batteries are warm. Not impressed.
The fibre service is good - after 6Mbits of ADSL for years - now 35Mbits (my choice, have yet to succomb to streaming....
0 Ratings