Had my activation day yesterday and got connected.
However after a bit of testing I've found out that the HomeHub doesn't give me past 30Mbit when connected directly (either in the 100Mb or 1GB ethernet port).
When I connect directly to the OTE and via PPPoE I get the full speed (75Mbit), and the weird thing is the wireless speed will gladly hit 50-60Mbit (when close by).
Doesn't the HomeHub have to be able to support the Infinity 2 speeds or is it because it's free?
Or is it up to the customer to buy a proper modem that can support the throughput.
I've tried 2 HH3's (my new one and a friends, they're both Type A) to make sure I didn't have faulty modem and I used the BT wholesale speed tester, thinkbroadband.com, speedtest.net and the diagnostics.bt.com speed testers to check the speeds on each different setup (wired into homehub, wired into openreach modem and wireless).
im not sure why its doing that, my hh3 gives me full speed (75mbps) when connected with ethernet cable to the pc and wirelessly will give the same speed if i have the laptop on the same table as the hh3, my hh is a hh3version B
Seems so, I'll have to call them tomorrow or maybe Monday I have noticed my Hub isn't on the latest firmware. It's not updating though.
the type A and B hh3s are manufacturered by different companies, the type A is made by sagem and the type B is made by huawei, i dont know what the differences are inside
I just thought I'd come back and reply with my findings so that others who may be scratching their heads can get this problem fixed.
So, after posting here I decided to call up BT and tell them the story. I did some speedtests through the diagnostics.bt.com site and speedtest.btwholesale.com website when directly connected on the homehub through ethernet.
When I phoned up the speed results came out fine. However via a homeplug (which can get 50mbit when connected directly into the OR modem) I would only be able to get 20Mbit download.
My HomeHub was a Type 3A and had the old firmware (18.104.22.168.83.8.57) and it had been a one and half weeks since it'd been on and still didn't update to the newest firmware.
So I went on the internet and downloaded the latest and flashed it, and now my internet speed via a homeplug into the homehub is 50mbit which is exactly the max I get from the OR modem from a homeplug.
So for those of you experiencing the same problem (where a homeplug speed differs massively from what you should get via your homeplug, this is assuming you actually know what speeds your homeplugs can give you by doing a speedtest from plug to plug using custom software or jperf) then update the firmware to the latest and it may solve your problem. I'm not sure if I can post the firmware link but if you do some googling you can find it.