cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vayidm
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

HH3 not fast enough for Infinity Option 2?

Had my activation day yesterday and got connected.

However after a bit of testing I've found out that the HomeHub doesn't give me past 30Mbit when connected directly (either in the 100Mb or 1GB ethernet port).

When I connect directly to the OTE and via PPPoE I get the full speed (75Mbit), and the weird thing is the wireless speed will gladly hit 50-60Mbit (when close by).

Doesn't the HomeHub have to be able to support the Infinity 2 speeds or is it because it's free?

Or is it up to the customer to buy a proper modem that can support the throughput.

I've tried 2 HH3's (my new one and a friends, they're both Type A) to make sure I didn't have faulty modem and I used the BT wholesale speed tester, thinkbroadband.com, speedtest.net and the diagnostics.bt.com speed testers to check the speeds on each different setup (wired into homehub, wired into openreach modem and wireless).

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
soapy
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: HH3 not fast enough for Infinity Option 2?

im not sure why its doing that, my hh3 gives me full speed (75mbps) when connected with ethernet cable to the pc and wirelessly will give the same speed if i have the laptop on the same table as the hh3, my hh is a hh3version B

0 Ratings
vayidm
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

whats the difference between the Type A and Type B modems?

0 Ratings
miles_safer
Expert
Message 4 of 7

Type A & B look the same so it must be internal gubbins is the difference. I think you router is at fault. I went through 4 before getting a stable one and that tye B has handled my 100/15 FTTP connection excellently. Complain & don't get fobbed off, point out your direct connection to modem speeds.
0 Ratings
vayidm
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Seems so, I'll have to call them tomorrow or maybe Monday I have noticed my Hub isn't on the latest firmware. It's not updating though.

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 6 of 7

the type A and B hh3s are manufacturered by different companies, the type A is made by sagem and the type B is made by huawei, i dont know what the differences are inside

0 Ratings
vayidm
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I just thought I'd come back and reply with my findings so that others who may be scratching their heads can get this problem fixed.

So, after posting here I decided to call up BT and tell them the story. I did some speedtests through the diagnostics.bt.com site and speedtest.btwholesale.com website when directly connected on the homehub through ethernet.

When I phoned up the speed results came out fine. However via a homeplug (which can get 50mbit when connected directly into the OR modem) I would only be able to get 20Mbit download.

My HomeHub was a Type 3A and had the old firmware (4.7.5.1.83.8.57) and it had been a one and half weeks since it'd been on and still didn't update to the newest firmware.

So I went on the internet and downloaded the latest and flashed it, and now my internet speed via a homeplug into the homehub is 50mbit which is exactly the max I get from the OR modem from a homeplug.

So for those of you experiencing the same problem (where a homeplug speed differs massively from what you should get via your homeplug, this is assuming you actually know what speeds your homeplugs can give you by doing a speedtest from plug to plug using custom software or jperf) then update the firmware to the latest and it may solve your problem. I'm not sure if I can post the firmware link but if you do some googling you can find it.

Results now

0 Ratings