cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Atifh101
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

HH5 Replacement or migrate to Sky?

So, ive had Infinity for 3 days and been getting the frequent disconnections that everyone here is complaining about. I havnt got the patience to speak to BT as its clear they are not acknowledging the problem with there faulty hardware.

Please can I have a list of modems to buy, which I can connect the HH5 to as a router only? from looking at other posts -

Looks like the best option is the ECI/R OpenReach Modem?

Will having this new set up fix this stupid issue? or is it worth just cancelling my contract and moving to Sky Fibre?

Regards

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: HH5 Replacement or migrate to Sky?

Cancelling your contract would be very expensive, as you would have to pay the full cancellation charges.

Much cheaper to get yourself a secondhand modem.

0 Ratings
gutted
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

I have already tried to get out but because there not a problem there end i would have to pay hundreds of pounds they will not agree there is a big problem wth the hh5 so the problem must be my end i have sent a email to wathdog to see if they can do something
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 18

@Atifh101 wrote:

So, ive had Infinity for 3 days and been getting the frequent disconnections that everyone here is complaining about. I havnt got the patience to speak to BT as its clear they are not acknowledging the problem with there faulty hardware.

Please can I have a list of modems to buy, which I can connect the HH5 to as a router only? from looking at other posts -

Looks like the best option is the ECI/R OpenReach Modem?

Will having this new set up fix this stupid issue? or is it worth just cancelling my contract and moving to Sky Fibre?

Regards

It will not fix anything if there is a problem on your line. So:-

Do the following and post back as necessary.

1) Try a quiet line test, 17070 option 2. If any noise detected report it as a line fault, do NOT mention broadband.

2) Post lines 1- 12 from Troulbleshooting/helpdesk of the HH5

3) Post a screen of the result from HERE after removing your phone number.

4) Post a screen of the result of the Further diagnostics test HERE (option appears after the first test).

From there someone will be able to advise you.

@gutted can you do the same in your own thread to avoid confusion.

Atifh101
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Hey Pippin,

Honestly mate, no issues with the line. Its just the H55, was looking for a way out so I didnt have to fork out on a new router/modem.

I have 14 days cooling off period, but after looking at Plusnet, Sky and other fibre forums. You honestly dont know what kind of issues you;re going to get. At least with this, I know all I need is either an OR modem / HH5 setup or a new modem/router combo.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

@Atifh101 wrote:
Hey Pippin,

I have 14 days cooling off period, but after looking at Plusnet, Sky and other fibre forums. You honestly dont know what kind of issues you;re going to get. At least with this, I know all I need is either an OR modem / HH5 setup or a new modem/router combo.

Just so that you are aware, the 14 day cooling off period starts when you place the order. Not from the date it is activated

BT broadband cooling off period

Any service from BT can be cancelled up to 14 calendar days after the day the network accepts your order. Any equipment that has already been sent out must be returned and you will only be charged for the service you used. However, you will also need to pay any activation fees involved, even if they were advertised as free as a condition of you keeping the contract.

0 Ratings
Atifh101
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Hi, yes am aware. I still have until next Wednesday to cancel.

Ray - As requested:

1. Product name:    BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:    +068543+NQ43227395
3. Firmware version:    Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown
4. Board version:    BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:    0 days, 00:22:54
6. Data rate:    8495 / 30926
7. Maximum data rate:    12759 / 38825
8. Noise margin:    9.4 / 6.1
9. Line attenuation:    0.0 / 20.9
10. Signal attenuation:    0.0 / 18.5
11. Data sent/received:    32.3 MB / 164.8 MB
12. Broadband username:    bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:    No 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

as your service has already started cancelling now will be expensive as you will have the full contract time to pay for
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 18

For that attenuation you should easily get Infinity 2 speeds but you are only getting Infinity 1 speeds.

What does the DSL checker estimate for your line? www.dslchecker.bt.com
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings